Pork butt #2

Started by ronbeaux, March 26, 2010, 06:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

Yep it's been awhile. I had a craving and since it usually isn't a comp cook in most of the IBCA, I decided to do one like "I" like them!!!!!

All seasoned up:

Just put it on with an obscene amount of pucks for an all night visit to wonderland. I got it cranked to 250 there abouts and have the outdoor fridge stocked to the gills with the beverage of choice. Will it be an all nighter??? Heck no. I'm going to bed and sleep like a baby.

This one is heavily coated with "Ritter's Just Sweet Rub"  Fellow BBQ competitors from North East Texas. [email protected]

They always beat me when they show up. I hate them so good. Doug and Carrol. By the way, Carrol is the better cook................. ;D
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ArnieM

Looks good Ron.  I'd agree in doing it the way you want.  I'm an expert in competition because I watch all of those TV shows.  The judges seem rather persnickity. 

I have three cats that would like to curl up in there.  Anyway, don't forget to send the oysters (other post).  Enjoy!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

What can I say? I know it's gonna be good.

Where/When is your next comp?

ronbeaux

I love it when a plan comes together!! Put the butt in the OBS at 2000 last night with a full water pan, 5 hours worth of pucks, and the temp control jacked to the right.

Woke at 0530, made coffee, then went outside, pulled the butt out of the OBS, slid it into the Cambro wrapped in foil, piddled around, read the news, then made me breakfast.

This butt won't make it past lunch. The inlaws got wind of it and are headed this way.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

I meant to comment earlier.  But, I've just been sitting here staring at the sammie for quite a while.  Looks great Ron!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

bayamosmokes

ronbeaux,

How big is that butt. I am intrigued with how you just pushed that slider all the way to the right, went to bed and 7 1/2 hours later it was done and looked that good. Being a newbie I think I am over thinking things. Last time I cooked a butt, I babied that thing all night long like a newborn waking every couple of hours to check temps. BTW, I'm with Arnie, cant take my eyes off that sandwich.
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

bayamosmokes

BTW, just ordered two packs of "Ritter's Just Sweet Rub"  ;D
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

classicrockgriller

So much for low and slow. Hot and Hard looks pretty good.

KyNola

YOW!  That looks amazing.  Making me severely hungry.

Nice work Ronbeaux.

ronbeaux

Quote from: bayamosmokes on March 27, 2010, 12:37:00 PM
ronbeaux,

How big is that butt. I am intrigued with how you just pushed that slider all the way to the right, went to bed and 7 1/2 hours later it was done and looked that good. Being a newbie I think I am over thinking things. Last time I cooked a butt, I babied that thing all night long like a newborn waking every couple of hours to check temps. BTW, I'm with Arnie, cant take my eyes off that sandwich.

The butt was 8lbs and it took 10 hours. I had the OBS preheated to 250 when I put it on at 8PM(my bad on the 2200 thing, it was 2000)

I don't know what the OBS peaked at, but it was holding 250 when I woke up this morning. It's OK to push a butt at 250 to 275 and it's hard to mess up in that temp range.

classicrockgriller

250/275 is good to know. I think I will try that very soon.

ronbeaux

Trust me. 250 to 275 does the job and it gives you time to react before it gets too dry, doesn't burn the sugar in the rub, and it gets a nice bark.

ronbeaux

Quote from: bayamosmokes on March 27, 2010, 12:38:42 PM
BTW, just ordered two packs of "Ritter's Just Sweet Rub"  ;D

Did you check on their other rubs? They win using them all the time. I like the regular, the apple, the cherry, and the HOT!

They are not like John Henry rubs with all the flavors. Doug and Carrol use a different medium for the apple and cherry that lasts longer and stays fresh.

I don't get anything for recommending them by the way. I just like them and use them.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ronbeaux on March 27, 2010, 02:24:26 PM
Trust me. 250 to 275 does the job and it gives you time to react before it gets too dry, doesn't burn the sugar in the rub, and it gets a nice bark.

You haven't lied to me yet ..... that I know of. ;D

Thanks ron.