New Smoker in Indiana

Started by Gorgas, March 31, 2010, 10:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgas

I just ordered my Original Bradley Smoker on Amazon yesterday.  It's going to be perfect weather this weekend and I want to start out the outdoor cooking season with some fantastic smoked meat.  I'm considering doing a batch of ribs or some brisket.  Any suggestions for a newbie smoker and his first batch?

MPTubbs

Be sure to season the smoker before you smoke any meat.

keep vent at least 1/2 open.

Keep the smoker out of the wind!

Brisket will take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound to smoke/cook.

Ribs sould take about 6 to 8 hours to smoke/cook.
(watch for the meat to pulling away from the bone on the ends)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

KevinG

Welcome aboard Gorgas! Don't forget to purchase some bisquettes for that smoke.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Gorgas

Thanks for the tips.  I ordered a 120 Mesquite bisquettes.  That should get me started.  Plus, there's a Gander Mountain a couple miles away that sells smaller quantities of the various different flavors.  Last night, I picked up a 6 1/2 pound Brisket and three nice racks of Beef Back Ribs.  After painstakingly removing most of the fat from the brisket and the skin from the ribs(much harder than I anticipated), I've got those sitting in the fridge smothered in Kansas City style rub waiting for the weekend.  I also picked up a pork butt and cut that into 3/4" thick "steak strips".  I smothered those with my cajun seasoning so I can make some Tasso. 

For the beef, how long should I leave the smoke on?  Couple hours?

OU812

On a brisket I go 4 hr Oak, mesquite is a stronger smoke than oak you might want to go with 3 hr and see if thats what your lookin for.

Check this out.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=36#post36

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum Gorgas.

I'd agree with 3 hours or so of mesquite smoke on the brisket.  Total cook time of about 8 to 10 hours at 220. 

Yeah, getting the membrane off the ribs can be a dickens.  Usually getting it started with something like a butter knife and then grabbing it with gloves or a paper towel will get it going.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NewfieSmoker

Welcome to the forum!  I havent tried Mesquite yet, but I understand that it is quite a bit stronger.  After reading a lot of posts, and the usefulness of Mesquite, it will be really interesting to see your results.  Hey, you got 40 hours of mesquite ready to light so keep us informed with the your results.

Newfie
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

Gorgas

Ouch.  I am humbled by my first attempt at smoking.  Too much Mesquite for sure.  I would probably cut my smoke time in half the next time I smoke.  I had another issue though.  Well, two issues.  First, it was a cold day here in Indiana.  Roughly 60 degrees and windy.  I tried to keep the smoker out of the wind, but it was still having trouble getting to temperature.  Also, I think I may have put too much meat in.  The bottom rack of meat was overcooked compared to the third rack.  I think I'll need to thin out what I've got on my shelves next time.  My brisket is still going.  It's got about three degrees to go till it's done.  Wish me luck.

Quarlow

Well you definitely need to block the wind from these things, but most important is you need to rotate your racks around to evenly cook. You don't say how much smoke you laid on to them ribs but 2 hrs of mesquite would be more than enough. Most things you will cook only take 1 1/2 to 3 hrs except maybe a pork butt or big brisket which you might give 4 to 5 hrs. The bradley gives off such a concentrated smoke that you can over smoke without trying. They are not like the old plywood ones my dad used when I was a kid burning alder chips and thin discs where we smoked salmon for 12 to 14 hrs. Welcome to the forum Gorgas.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Hi Gorgas,

Q has you pretty much covered.  When you rotate racks, it's front to back and top to bottom.  The lowest rack gets the most direct heat from the bottom.  The only thing I ever put on my lowest rack are a couple of bricks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.