ash tray tasting cheese

Started by bears fan, April 03, 2010, 06:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Here is a quick homemade cold smoker you can make out of a cardboard box.

If you want to see how it is made just say so and I will post it.
I have posted it before but things are sometimes hard to find on here.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

Oh no, not the cat trap again  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Quarlow

Yup and it worked real good didn't it. ;D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Mr B

I would be careful not using water in the puck-bowl.  A smoldering puck (pucks) can start a fire pretty darn quick.  Especially if you are using the Cardboard box as a cold smoke box, like I am.

Quarlow

Yeah you need to use the water bowl for sure. My box has no bottom in it so if you set it on something that can catch fire you might want to put a cookie sheet under it. Mine will be used on the cement driveway for future.

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

I've found two variables.  As stated, soft cheese will take on more smoke.  The other is the cabinet temp.  If you're hitting 80-85, the smoke time should be reduced.  At 60-65 it can be increased.  If I'm only doing an hour or two, you don't need much water in the bowl.

Hey Q, only YOU can prevent forest fires  ;D ;D

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

I put only ice in my water pan and also place a pan of ice on the next rack up.  Will be tasting the cheese on Saturday.  Will let you know how it tastes.

KevinG

I'm not sure if you put the ice above the cheese, but if you do make sure to put a towel under it so the condensation won't drip on your cheese.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

DTAggie

No. cheese is on the top racks with all ice below.

Quarlow

Yup I put a big bowl of ice on top of the v-tray on mine.

OBS
BBQ

bears fan

DT,
let us know how the cheese tastes.

bears fan

Q,
Can you post how you built your cold smoke adapter?  Thanks in advance.

Quarlow

sure, just give me abit and I will get that for you.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

bears fan

Thanks Q.  Seems really simple and a lot cheaper than buying a cold smoker adapter.  Can't imagine that to cost more than $20 with the supplies that are needed.