First Smoked Turkey

Started by Slamdunk, April 05, 2010, 12:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamdunk

Am glad to report that my first was a success !!

Did have a few problems though. It was quite cold yesterday morning (44 F) and windy as well. Preheated to about 210, but when I put the bird in it quickly fell lower and never did get back up above 204, even with a wide open vent and the heat on its highest setting.

Then after 1 1/2 hours I came out of the house to see that everything was OK and noticed no smoke!! Turned out the pucks had jammed. I had smoked some bacon and pastrami the day before and the left over pucks must have absorbed some moisture (it was raining yesterday evening) , swelled and plugged the chamber. I was worried about that but after cleaning everything out, the smoke rolled just fine.

While I was smoking one turkey, my wife was doing another one in the oven - don't think she had too much faith that my first smoked one was going to turn out OK - for that matter, neither did I !!

Anyhow here are the pics...

After a 24 hour brine - coated with Rosemary/Sage/Thyme with EVOO, put a lot into the cavity as well.

In she goes

Pulled at 163? after 7 hours. I was worried about the skin so put it into a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

New oven mitts didn't work worth a darn - damn near dropped the whole bird,

Smoked bird on the left, skin crisped up nicely

Both cooks happy that the birds turned out great!

The family and friends stopped eating long enough for some pics

Finally get to eat some - even if the rest of them were out in the kitchen getting desert...

The smoked bird was very tasty with a bit of salt taste, but not too much. The herbs added a very nice mild flavour. Everybody liked the smoked over the regular - I liked both, but will definitely do another smoked turkey. It was great!!~

Today my wife is making Smoked turkey soup - can hardly wait for that.

squirtthecat

FLBentRider

Great job.

I remember a very similar situation with my first smoked turkey. Except it was my mother that was roasting the bird - she's hooked on stuffing in the bird.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Way to go SD!  Glad you got that first one behind you.  Great looking turkey and a good looking group of family and friends gathered around the table toasting the Chef.

Something to consider for another cold and windy day.  I noticed your OBS is pretty much out in the open and exposed on all sides.  The wind is actually a bigger enemy than cold temps.  If there is a way you can build some type of wind block, it will help in letting the temp inside the smoker come up.  Wind blowing across the top vent will literally suck the heat right out of your tower and won't let it come up like you would like.  The vent has to stay open.  Not criticizing at all.  The results are beautiful.  Just something that might help the next time.

Slamdunk

Thanks for the comments.

KyNola,
Yes, you're right. After 25 years here, we are going to be moving by the end of July, the new house will definitely have a better smoking location !!

OU812

Bravo, Bravo.

Beautiful lookin birds Mr. and Mrs. SD.

Looks like a bunch of happy campers enjoyin both of the cooks fixins.

Soup is a givin here when we smoke a turkey or chicken, aint nothin better.

Rich_91360

Will be trying this recipe for the relatives this weekend but need to make a day ahead of time.  What is best method to re-warm the turkey, besides putting hot gravy over it.  WHat method / temp / time for a 12 pound bird.

Thanks

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: Rich_91360 on April 05, 2010, 06:24:45 PM
Will be trying this recipe for the relatives this weekend but need to make a day ahead of time.  What is best method to re-warm the turkey, besides putting hot gravy over it.  WHat method / temp / time for a 12 pound bird.

Thanks

I would wrap in foil and into a 250F oven for 30 to 60 minutes - check after 30 minutes
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SnellySmokesEm

Great Work!  Based on appearance and my own bias towards the smoke my vote goes with the smoked bird.   ;)  Especially after seeing the meat pull back from the leg bone!  How long was the total cook time in the smoker?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Slamdunk

Snelly all told it was 7 1/2 hours in the smoker and then a bit in the oven. It was only about 12 pounds.

KevinG

Those are both some fine looking birds.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Slamdunk

Just found a new way to do turkey.

ArnieM

I think the breast might be underdone but the thighs are looking good  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: slamdunk on April 06, 2010, 01:10:22 PM
Snelly all told it was 7 1/2 hours in the smoker and then a bit in the oven. It was only about 12 pounds.

Thanks!  I am doing a turkey this year for thanksgiving so I am starting to take notes now....

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist