Home Brew

Started by BigSmoker, May 06, 2005, 07:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LFord</i>
<br />We use a German Ale yeast in conjunction with either L. delbrueckii or P.cerevisiae and add lactic acid at bottling if it is not sour enough. We did the whole sour mash thing once when we were doing a lambic style beer and decided that once was enough. While it's not quite Kindl Weisse it is still a pretty good beer. It's not something that eveyone likes, but my wife loves the stuff and it does go down nice on summer day(kinda like a nice tart lemonade).

Fermentation and civilization are inseperable-John Ciardi
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Les,

Just curious--do you mean P. cerevisiae or S. (for Saccharomyces) cerevisiae?  If you did mean P., what's the P stand for and what's the difference between the two yeasts in terms of use in brewing?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

LFord

John,
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the classification used for ale yeasts and I think they are now including S. ovarum(lager yeast) in there too. Lactobacillus delbrueckii and  Pediococcus cerevisiae are both lactic acid causing bacterial cultures. With the exception of Berliner Weisse they are almost exclusive to certain Belgian beers that have a distinct sour taste from the high acid level.

This page can give you a bit more info on the different cultures that you can get for homebrewing.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm

If you want to taste one of these beers, my favorites are lambics from Boon  or Cantillon. Lindemans and Timmermans are a more well known but the fruit lambics they make are a bit sweet for me. As far as I know only one brewery is still making Berliner Weisse and the name escapes me right now, Kindl Weisse was imported to the states but they just recently announced that the brewery was closing it's doors. Just be warned, if you have never had one of these beers you might be in for a real shock. They smell funky, can be extremelly sour, and are expensive. It as generally an all or nothing thing with these types of beers, people either love them or (more often than not) hate them.

LFord

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mws</i>
<br />LFord,

You will have to do a Rauchbier at one of your future Brew-B-Ques.

I always use peat smoked barley in my Scots Ales and the idea of a bit of smoked grain in a Hefe-Weizen has been bouncing around in my warped little brain for a bit now.[:)]

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I always use <b><u><font size="3"><font color="red">peat smoked barley</font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </u> </b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<b><i>To some this will makes sense.</i> </b>  Ahhh---Now I know where they might of got the idea.

"The moon rose in the east and the fog rests heavy over the bogg."

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

LFord

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I always use <b><u><font size="3"><font color="red">peat smoked barley</font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </u> </b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<b><i>To some this will makes sense.</i> </b>  Ahhh---Now I know where they might of got the idea.

"The moon rose in the east and the fog rests heavy over the bogg."

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

They had to ferment it before they could distill it.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LFord</i>
<br />my favorites are lambics from Boon  or Cantillon. Lindemans and Timmermans are a more well known but the fruit lambics they make are a bit sweet for me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Have you tried Lindemans' Gueze? It is definately not sweet & is best aged a few years. Very tasty, and I too am a big lambic fan.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

LFord

Yep, the gueze from Lindemans is pretty good. Philly has a few Belgian restaurants and all of them have a great beer selection. We have made a few lambic style beers and while they were pretty good there is no way to really get that taste that comes from the Belgian brews.