first smoke

Started by dewey089, May 28, 2005, 04:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewey089

I received my stainless steel package from Chez Bubba on Thursday as promised.  Fastest online purchase I ever made.  So Friday I smoked some bluegill and yellow perch.  I know these are not considered the best fish to smoke because they are not oily as trout, carp, mackerel, salmon, etc. but I live on a little lake and catch about a hundred a week, so finding things to do with them is a challenge.   I tried the alder wood as I noticed it mentioned for fish.  What a nice job it does!  Twenty years ago I used to smoke with a lil Chef but this is far better in every way.  I could control the heat so the fish came out moist and tasty, not as rubbery as I remember.  And I actually went fishing while the thing smoked instead of taking an entire day to constantly monitor.

Next I'll have to try some bullhead.  I see a lot of smoked catfish information on the web.

And i'll get to meat too.  A little at a time.

The smoker is just grand!  I decided to go the stainless after reading on the board of a few who had paint peeling. I was glad of that decision when the first morning after burning to season I saw how much condensation gathered under the cover.  It is damp here by the lake and everything rusts.

The only thing I don't like is the power lights are so dim as to be pretty useless.  

I'll have lots of questions over time, but just now I am wondering where the serial number is so I can register the warranty.  I find plenty of numbers all over the place but none say serial number.

So thanks for this board.  Otherwise I'd have bought another Lil Chef or similar electric on sale little one at Cabella's.  What a great tool the internet is for shopping.  I don't know a single other person who has a smoker, so you folks and your comments and information sure was a help.

And Chez Bubba was great too.  I called him first and asked information.  Then ordered a few days later.  I could have matched his price and gotten free shipping at discount houses where the smoker was on sale, but I can make up the shipping cost over time with the 10% lifetime savings on wood discs.  And having responsive good service is worth a lot too.  They made sure to get my package mailed out so I'd have the smoker by Memorial Day.  I didn't ask for that service.  They just did it.  Also the aluminum discs will save a ton of money over time.  Nice innovation!  So thanks Chez Bubba.

All in all pretty exciting.

jaeger

Dewey,
Welcome to the boards! You are right about the great customer service from Chez. Not only will you get a discount, he stocks every kind of wood available and accesories that Nobody else has. Several accesories were invented and designed specifically for the Bradley by members of this board.(Kummock and Smokehouse Rob).
In regards to your question: the serial number on my Smoker is on a sticker on the back. By the way, you will not find better support for any problems you may have in regards to your warranty. Bradley customer service is outstanding and FAST.
You are going to find a lot of fish and seafood lovers here so you will have a lot to share. Here is a link from a member here (Olds),
that has a treasure of information and recipes. You will want to check this out for sure! http://susan.rminor.com/forums/index.php?

Tight lines!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Bad Flynch

Even Carp is good smoked, so don't throw anything away. The secret to Carp is to get them big enough that the bones are big and easily dealt with.

B.F.
B.F.

Oldman

Dog gone Dewey! You sound too happy LOL!Welcome to the boards. I sure wish I lived close to you... bluegill and yellow perch out the wazoo...man oh man nothing like good bluegill cooked in lard. [:p] <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am wondering where the serial number is so I can register the warranty<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The last time I talked with Katie Husband from Bradley there are no more serial numbers. They are using the bar-code.

As far as the recipe site goes it is a work in progress. There are about 80 items there now, and there is another 200 to go~~! Momma~~! I try to send at least a couple of hours per day on it, but the coding at times is slow going.

There is an open posting board at the top. You may post any time tested and proven recipe of yours there. It will then be edited and placed into the correct categroy. If you have pictures you would like to include that board will allow you to upload but it is limited at the 10 pictures per posting. If you have more pictures then a the limit on a post then just Post a New Reply and add them there.

Please review this information and example of how to attach pictures to your recipe posting: <b>Please Read Before You Attach Pictures.</b>

This will give you a good idea of the layout I use. I will take your picture and thumbnail it so it can be enlarged.  This example is from the <b>Non-Smoking-Recipes.</b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Dewey!  Always good to add another North East BSer to the group.  You're absolutely right about Chez--many of us who did not buy our smokers from him have regretted it!  Not that there aren't other reputable dealers out there, but you won't find a better source or resource than Chez.  BTW, you might not here a "thank-you" from him for a couple days--he's off smokin' away at the Indy 500 and said he wouldn't get back to the Forum until Tuesday.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

dewey089

Well, thanks for the friendly greetings and advice.  I smoked 48 more bluegill this morning.  That is what will fit on the trays if the fish are set up on their open bellies. They took a little longer but turned out just fine. I scaled these just to see and I think it makes eating easier.  

I used 8 bisquets this time.  Ran out of alder so threw in a couple mesquite at the end and that was fine.  I'll run some up to an old buddy near Buffalo who loves smoked white fish and see what he thinks.

I'm also going to mix some in with cream cheese and see how that is on a morning bagel.  thanks for that recipe site.  It will be a great resource.  I may try that fish pate.