Two foods remain to be smoked

Started by Rich_91360, April 12, 2010, 12:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

Has been about a month since I received my DBS6 and have thus far smoked four of the six items I will be making going forward.  Responses I have received to questions raised on this forum and other posts have resulted in good to great success on those food groups tried so far.

My first smoke after break-in smoke were two Boston Butts pulled with fantastic results.  Made up a goodie bag for each of my team mates at work, based on their family size and they were suitably impressed.  Next came two chickens split in half, marinated overnight, then a rub.  My wife and I split a half, fall off the bone good - very moist and the rest went with my son to college dorm.  He also took four pounds of pulled pork.

Then a Brisket.  Results were OK, meat tender_ took much longer than anticipated but rem,ember reading 'it is only done when it is done"  will work on this one again when they again go on sale.  Was small on 5 pounds.

This weekend was a 12 lb turkey that I put in at 11pm, after a 2 hour preheat.  Brined turkey in one cup kosher salt to one gallon water for 5 hours then rinsed.  Applied 1/4 cup safflower oil (total) to both inside and outside of bird and put on rub.  Smoked with alternating alder and apple for two hours and kept smoke generator on all night along with oven.  Woke at 2 AM to turn turkey breast side up and again at 6 AM to check temperature for doneness.  Also rotated the rack front to back each time.  Was ready about 730 am.  One thigh was below temp of 165F (around 158) and the other was 167F.  FTC for about five hours then placed into a preheated 350 f oven to crisp skin and rewarm.  Was still warm when it came out of cooler.  Ate all the white meat and saved the legs/thighs to use in pot pie.

The remaining items to smoke are: Salmon and Sausages.  Waiting for my Auber dual probe to arrive, to be mailed tomorrow.  These two items are the primary reason I purchased the BDS6.

Will remember to take pictures in future.

Again thanks to all of you who have provided the great information on this site based on your experiences.

Rich

oakville smoker

Grasshopper

There is always something else to smoke.  You never get to the end.
Enjoy
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

And even if you get to the end, you can start at the beginning again.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rich_91360

Sage advice from those who have been there and back again.

Ticked off first of the season wild alaskan king salmon on Saturday

classicrockgriller

I've never thought there was a end to the trail.

When I die, I've told my wife I want to be cremated with some Hickory, Pecan, and Apple bisquettes.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on April 20, 2010, 09:15:19 AM
I've never thought there was a end to the trail.

There isn't.  How about cheese, nuts, ABTs, etc.

When I die, I've told my wife I want to be cremated with some Hickory, Pecan, and Apple bisquettes.

Hmmm.  Pulled CRG  ??? ??? ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

RAF128

When I bought by DBS6 last fall I only thought I'd being doing sausage in it.   I found this forum and realized there was more, a whole lot more.    Since then I've smoked hard boiled eggs, pickled eggs, cheese, pulled pork, brisket, an elk roast, ribs, chicken and ABT's.    I've made a couple of different kinds of beer sticks, polish sausage, summer sausage and last week some Thuringer sausage.   I did a 24 cold smoke on some salmon.    I've made the maple cured bacon and some back bacon.   I may have forgotten something.   Everything but the elk roast has been great.    Right now I have another pork butt thawing for some pulled pork  There's probably some different variations of things that I've done that I'll try but haven't thought of them yet.  

Rich_91360

Clearly I have set my sights way way too low.  Thanks to this site for opening not only my eyes but also my taste buds.  Now if I can just find more time to do all of this smoking and eating.

oakville smoker

Has anyone tried to smoke kangaroo ?
I ate some roo when I was in Oz way back, cannot remember how it was cooked
Wife said the grocery store now has exotic meats and roo was one of them
She says...  can you smoke that ?  god bless her

CRG    I think I will be cremated with hickory
half of me will go on a ski run at Stowe called "Goat".  The other half goes in the bunker in front of the sixth hole at my golf club
I seem to spend a lot of time there   LOL   and its the hole I had my ace on    it only seems fitting
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

classicrockgriller

oak smok,

I will probably be scattered in various places and I have to think that out.

Hope I have time. I'll do that in 20 years or so.

Gonna put my Son in charge of disposing of my ashes.

Wifie will probably try to use me as cat litter. ;D

RAF128

Quote from: oakville smoker on April 20, 2010, 11:49:35 AM
Has anyone tried to smoke kangaroo ?

Nope.   I think they'd be to hard to light. ;D