Makin' Bacon confusion --- with photos.....

Started by Smokeville, April 21, 2010, 07:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

moodyfisherman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 24, 2010, 07:24:54 PM
I get my Maple Powder from www.targil.com
Maybe I need to get stronger glasses.....but I do not see this on their site??
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: moodyfisherman on April 24, 2010, 08:45:36 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 24, 2010, 07:24:54 PM
I get my Maple Powder from www.targil.com
Maybe I need to get stronger glasses.....but I do not see this on their site??

Under Spices right between 20 Mesh Dill and Ground Marjoram

Or you can just give them a call they is some good people from down in Louisiana
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Bavind on April 24, 2010, 07:24:10 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on April 21, 2010, 04:14:20 PM
So is mine Rich.  Same recipe.  Went into the fridge this morning.  Make sure you keep flopping or shaking it around.

I'm going with the three day smoke after it's cured.  A good part of the fun is learning and experimenting.

I am a little confused about a three day smoke????? never seen that before

Arnie is referring to the following recipe:
Triple Smoked Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

A couple of good sources for maple sugar ...

1.  Amazon.com -- do a search for maple sugar, you'll get a bunch of different products.  Probably the best deal around is the Coombs Family Farms 100% Organic Maple Sugar, 25-Ounce Container for $16.65, Amazon Prime eligible.

2.  The Spice House  (http://www.thespicehouse.com/) - these folks are my favorite purveyors of fine spices and dried herbs, been using them for decades, a great family run business.  Use the "Shop for Spices" link at the top left.

Eric

Arnie - Thanks - it's how I TRY to make my living these days.  I am sure you can (buy low, ...) the issue is usually consistency (or lack of it). It's a lot like golf in that regard.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Bavind

Triple smoked bacon!!!! that just sounds extraordinarily good

ArnieM

I apologize for not putting in a link for the triple smoked bacon.  Thanks Habs.  Going to susanminor.org is kinda like second nature for me and sometimes I just don't think.

My butcher has had double smoked bacon and he said it was great but he's never had the triple smoked variety.

BLSH, yeah sometimes I buy low.  And then it goes lower.  And lower.  My MAK grill just keeps drifting away  >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Arnie,

Not to hijack the thread but, buy it is important not to confuse the strategy with the tactic (i..e, timing) -- sometimes we sell high first then buy low later.   ;D

Eric 
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

Don't worry about hijacking Eric.  PM me your phone number and we can chat.  I've never been into short selling.  Maybe you could teach me something.
-- Arnie

Smokeville

OK, folks. It's been 6 days with the belly in the cure....

Not a lot of liquid came out and the meat isn't very firm, but I took it out and washed it off anyway. And I cut a thin slice and fried it up and it is quite good, I think. So I've got it in the fridge air drying and will smoke it maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Smokeville

It just came out of the smoker and I took these shots just after I removed the rind....

It tastes GREAT!

ArnieM

Looks good SV.  I don't care what you do to it, it's always better than what you'd get at the store.

Mine is out of the cure, rinsed and soaked some.  Test slices were good.  Drying in the fridge.  Goin' with this.  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?459-Triple-Smoked-Bacon
-- Arnie