• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I think I died...

Started by Ka Honu, April 22, 2010, 07:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

... and went to heaven.  Got to NOLA last night and so far have had:
     • gumbo,
     • jambalaya,
     • red beans & rice,
     • boudin,
     • pork rillon,
     • head cheese,
     • andouille (taste test), and
     • fried green tomatoes w/ remoulade

If my arteries don't explode tonight, I'm scheduled for more of the same plus coffee w/chickory & beignet, crawfish, oysters, soft-shell crab & cochon du lait po'boys, and gattons (cracklins) over the first weekend of JazzFest (not to mention the Abita Amber & Turbo Dog required to wash it all down).  After that, we'll just have to see how it goes.  Good thing SWMBO isn't here; she'd have a heart attack just looking at all that "swamp food."

KyNola - Went to Cochon (the butcher shop side) this afternoon to check out their andouille.  It's great - I ordered 16 pounds to take home with me.  They made me up a "special" charcuterie plate so I could try more things including the first boudin I've actually liked in years - light on the liver and great on the spices.  I can see me having lunch there every day I'm not at JazzFest.  I'll have to try the restaurant side eventually; I didn't see brisket on the menu in the shop.

Gotta go get some sleep to get rid of this jet lag so I can let those bon temps roullez properly tomorrow.

Aloha, ma cher.

KevinG

Man, you're going to have to ease up or you'll bust out of your shell. :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Man, I thought all you ate was seaweed  ;D  My wife liked head cheese until I told her what it was made of.  Pig feet?  Nope.

Have a good time KH and keep sampling!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Man that sounds like some good times and the food sounds like a cajun dream.

Can you say B U R P ?

Keep us posted and let the bon temps roullez!

KyNola

KH,
Awesome, just awesome.  Glad to hear I didn't steer you wrong with Cochon.  Donald Link was raised deep in Cajun country so he knows how to cook and smoke meats.

Have fun my friend.  No place like NOLA is there?

KyNola

ronbeaux

Sounds like your on a feeding frenzy! Nice! Have fun.
I'm in Memphis on Beal Street and have yet to find BBQ worth eating. Switching to fried chicken at Guss's today, then sushi, then that place where they serve meat from a sword.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KevinG

Don't cough, the sword'll get stuck.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

Quote from: ronbeaux on April 23, 2010, 06:18:10 AM
... then that place where they serve meat from a sword.

If it's that Brazillian thing Rodizio(sp)

I like those places!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: ronbeaux on April 23, 2010, 06:18:10 AM
then that place where they serve meat from a sword.

There are a couple good ones in Chicago...

Tip - make sure you are hungry when you get there.  It will be a carnivore's paradise.

http://www.fogodechao.com/menu/dining-experience/

FLBentRider

I've been to one in Vegas, it was awesome.

Yeah, show up hungry and don't bring your vegan friends.

It's a low carb paradise!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Packing for an early morning flight home and trying to fit 20 pounds of andouille (upped my original order), four jars of filé powder, four jars of Creole mustard, two boxes of pralines & tortues, and three packages & a bottle of crab boil in the suitcase.  Plus, of course, JazzFest t-shirts, etc.

I'm fat, happy, and exhausted. Ate everything everywhere.  Listened to all the Cajun & Zydeco I could find - Beau Soleil, Savoy Music Center, Wayne Toups, Nevilles, Kermit Ruffins, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, etc., etc., etc.  Amanda Shaw (now about 21) is an amazing fiddler, singer, and entertainer. In case you wondered, after 45 years Jeff Beck can still make unbelievable sounds come out of that Stratocaster and Steve Martin is a very good bluegrass banjo player.

KyNola - Met Donald Link and his partner from Cochon (Steve Strzy-something).  Even liked their boudin noir (Whoda ever thunk it?) and the brisket was delicious.  You still gotta try Jacques Imo's - it's still as good as ever.

Gotta run - just enough time for one more dozen oysters and one more bowl of gumbo...

KyNola

KH,
Sounds like an awesome trip and lots of great culinary scores.  How cool is it that you got to meet Donald and Steve?  I am so bummed that I didn't but did you at least tell them that this guy on a smoker forum named KyNola pointed you in their direction? :D

Have a safe trip home my friend.  That Cochon andouille must be good if you're packing 20 pounds back.  The brisket was good wasn't it?
You heard some great music.  Love that Zydeco.  Did you run across Rockin' Dopsie and the Zydeco Twisters?  My favorite Zydeco group.  I helped bring them to my hometown for a music festival.  Ask me what group was the hit of the festival! :D

classicrockgriller

Well Ka Honu, I am quite envious of you adventures.

Some great food and some good times.

I have to have a zydeco fix everyday.

It has probally been 35 years plus since I have eaten any "Boudain Noir". (Blood Boudain)

And it was made fresh. Can't say it was one of my favorites.

KyNola

CRG,
I don't know about you but Zydeco music makes me happy within about 10 seconds of it firing up.  Agreed?

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.