Beef Roast HELP

Started by shannon, April 25, 2010, 02:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shannon

I have this 5 lb Beef Roast and I dont even know where to start....or how to get smoking. Any suggestions for a rub and how long I should smoke for? thanks :)

FLBentRider

First I would ask what is your goal.

Smoked Roast beef or pulled beef.

If you're looking for smoked roast beef, check this post http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11005.0
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

shannon

Yes I am looking for a smoked roast beef, but I only have Hickory, Alder, Cherry and Mesquite. Are any of these pucks ok to use? if they are...how many will I use in the smoking time? As far as a rub, I will probably use garlic powder, salt and pepper and smoke for 3 hours? Sorry really green at this ha ha ha, any input is appreciated. Thanks so much :)

FLBentRider

Quote from: shannon on April 25, 2010, 02:27:31 PM
Yes I am looking for a smoked roast beef, but I only have Hickory, Alder, Cherry and Mesquite. Are any of these pucks ok to use? if they are...how many will I use in the smoking time? As far as a rub, I will probably use garlic powder, salt and pepper and smoke for 3 hours? Sorry really green at this ha ha ha, any input is appreciated. Thanks so much :)

I'd go with 3 hours (9 bisquettes plus 3 bubba pucks) of Hickory.

I would watch the internal temp closely after that, especially if you want it rare. The temp will climb after you put it in FTC by a few degrees, so for example if you want 135F for your finish temp then pull it at 130-132F. If you pull it at 135F you will end up with 138-140F.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

I didn't know wheter to vote for the Beef roast or the beef roast so I didn't vote. ;D

If you follow FLBR post, you will be very happy.

Just decide how done you like it and back off a little from there to allow the IT to rise.

Let us know how it turns out.

pensrock

Last one I did, I used S&P with garlic for the rub. First put EVOO on then the spices. Smoked two hours and cooked to medium rare. Allowed to cool then slice very thin the next day. It was great.  :)

shannon

I have a digital Bradley so has an oven as well. would I smoke at 130 first for the couple of hours then oven next? temp at ?? for how long?

FLBentRider

I would start at 210F and leave it there for the entire cook.

5lbs will probably take 4 hours or less.

I did six hours but that was for a 13lb roast.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

drewpatton

I voted for Beef roast...that beef roast didn't sound as good!

shannon

Oops my mistake, it's a 2.5 lbs roast...same temperature? 2 hours maybe?

FLBentRider

I would keep an eye on it, probably 2 to three hours

what cut of beef is it?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

As FLBR asked, "What cut?"  In other words, do you want to slice it or pull it?

For anything like a round (top/bottom) I wouldn't go over 2 hours of oak.  Less for hickory.  But, that's for my taste.  S&P on it (yeah I do like garlic) is a good simple rub that would not detract from the taste of the beef.  Cook to 130-135, pull and FTC it.  Or, go a little higher if you like it medium.

If you want to pull it, well that's another post.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.