Another pulled pork post

Started by CK, April 26, 2010, 11:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK

Did 2 butts this weekend one was 7 lbs and the other was 8 lbs., ordered from the meat plant with the bone out.
Marinaded over night in some Stubbs pork marinade.
Next day gave them a mustard bath and added some Bear Claw Honey Butt Spice, 3 hours later in the smoker they went.
Added a tray full of beer on top of the drip tray.
100 degrees for 1 hour 220 degrees with 4 hours of hickory and then bumped up to 230 degrees until done.
took the meat out at 185 degree IT.
I had a heck of a time getting my cabinet up to temp I even put my smoker in the garage as it was very windy when I started this smoke.
Eventually the temps started to come in line, total time the smoker was just over 17 hours, 2.5 hours FTC.
The meat was so tender it was falling apart on its own.
Here are some pics, there is 7 pictures so I put them in an album.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/Steelhead101/Pulled%20pork/

Tenpoint5

That sounds like about the right amount of time for that big load of butts. Looks good
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

They look CK.  Yeah, that's a lot of meat to get up to temp.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

I'd eat some of that!

Was that foil pan on the V tray or is that an optical illusion?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

OU812

Good lookin pork you did up there CK, the bark looks great.

It does look like the foil pan is sittin on the V tray, if it is you should really put it on a rack just below the the rack the pork is on.

CK

Thanks

Yeah this time I just set it on the V pan instead of on a rack...didn't have any problems with it sitting there.
The time I was done the beer was gone and it was about 1/2" thick of dried out grease, I just threw the pan in the garbage.

I did refill the bottom bowl after the smoke and it was empty in the morning as well.

I think if I ever do two at a time down the road I might just add an extra heat element, see if I can get it up to temp quicker and hold better.

OU812

With the foil pan you will have to replace the liquid when it evaporates away.

I add 2 warm beers to the pan after the smoke and refill the drip pan then before goin to bed refill both pans and in the morn refill them again.

After the juices start to build up in the foil pan just add enough liquid to keep the drippings from dryin out.

For me I fill my foil pan half way with beer when I put it in, then refill in the morning and that will make it to the end without the drippings dryin out.

Sittin on the V tray might be the reason the drippings dryied out.

CK

Right on OU812, I will give that a try for the next time.
Now that I think about it having it sit on the V Tray might be the reason it dried out the way it did.

Thanks for the info.