• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help with pulled pork for 75 people

Started by cfunk25, April 29, 2010, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfunk25

Okay so I need some help.  I have a 6 rack digital bradley smoker.  I am going to make 40 lbs pork butts for 75 people as I am serving hot dogs and slopping joes for my son's graduation.  From reading I see that is too much to do at once so I was going to do 2 batches.  I have to prepare the pork this weekend because of the limited time I have.  So graduation is May 8th and I was going to take the time this weekend to do 2 batches.  How long will it take to do a 20lb batch of pork butts?  What should I set my smoker and temp on?  I do have a digital thermometer to monitor the IT.  I am pretty new at smoking probably used my smoker half a doz time.  Should I brine them or just rub them?  Do I use the FTC method to store them for a week?  Or should I wait to do it 3 or 4 days prior? HELP

db14

cfunk, I am by no means an expert as I am preparing for my first run at this also, but have been asking some of these same questions (under "Meat" and "Trial run at pulled pork").  I can aswer a few of these for you and let the experts take you the rest of the way.
There is no set cooking time, but 1.5 hours per pound is a guidline.  They are done when the IT says they are.
There are two schools of though on the temp from what I gather.  One is the normal low and slow with the cabinet temp (CT) around 210F.  The other is the Turbo cook at abotu 250F.
You can brine if you would like, but it is not necessary.  A rub would be sufficient.  Check out the recipe site for plenty of suggestions.
You cannot FTC for a week.  FTC can work for up 5 or 6 hours, possibly a little longer, but not a week.  you will want to vac seal and freeze or my suggestion would be to foil them and refridgerate.  Then when you're erady to reheat you can throw the whole thing in the oven with the foil on and pull when they come back up to temp.

Hopefully that's enough to give you an idea.  You'll get plenty more input shortly I'm sure.  There's lots of experience here and everyone is willing to share.

FLBentRider

IMHO, you can do 40lbs in a six rack.

Thats only six butts, or so.

It will take a while.

If you do it in batches, plan on 20-24 hours.

I would definitely rub them, brining is optional.

You can't FTC them that long. I would FTC an hour or so, pull and vac seal.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

cfunk25

so 40 lbs is ok in a 6 rack?  why did I read that was way too much, maybe that was for a 4 rack.  I was definately going to rub them.  I have smoked pork before but only about 6 lbs not 40 lbs.  I was thinking it would take 20-24 per batch but it seems it would take only 20-24 for one batch huh?  What is your suggestion wait until a day or two before to do it?  I just don't have alot of time on the saturday of graduation to be smoking pork.  I know it would be fresh but I just don't want to be rushing myself.  I would have to have it done and pulled by 12pm on saturday.  I am open to suggestions.

classicrockgriller

After the smoke you can put in the oven so you don't "Have" to keep a close eye on it.

After the smoke time your Bradley basically is an oven.

Tenpoint5

Go with your plan. Do it this weekend when you have time and can relax and enjoy yourself. Like it was mentioned it will be done when it is done. If you have a time that it has to be done 12pm Sat I can guarantee it will be done about 4pm. You are better off to make it this weekend then freeze and then rewarm it back up in a crock pot or roaster with a splash or two of apple juice. Don't worry it will be fine and the flavor will still be great and you will be able to enjoy your gathering and Tell everyone just how hard it was to make the pulled pork. Never tell them just how easy it actually is.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

It will keep fine in the vacuum bags..    Just bag them in 4-5 pounds batches.   The morning of the party, start reheating them in the bags in a big roaster pan (or something similar) of hot (not boiling) water.   Cut and dump into crockpot(s) as necessary to serve.   There are some good vinegar sauces on the recipe site that you can add in before you serve to keep moist.

cfunk25

I just figured making sure it was done the weekend before.  I do have the entire day before (friday) to do it I just have errands to run etc so I won't be home to watch it for 6 hours.  I just don't want the pan to run dry,etc.  I appreciate everyone's advice.  I have been stressing about this but I am not paying someone to do the work for me; that is why I got my own smoker.  I definately need to experiment more with my smoker this summer.

squirtthecat

You'll be fine doing it in advance.  Plenty of time to practice/relax..

Butts are very forgiving.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: cfunk25 on April 29, 2010, 12:26:50 PM
I just figured making sure it was done the weekend before.  I do have the entire day before (friday) to do it I just have errands to run etc so I won't be home to watch it for 6 hours.  I just don't want the pan to run dry,etc.  I appreciate everyone's advice.  I have been stressing about this but I am not paying someone to do the work for me; that is why I got my own smoker.  I definately need to experiment more with my smoker this summer.

Don't stress. Think of a plan that works for you and do it.

Butts are really easy to do, they just take a while.

You can't hardly mess up a Butt.

Just give that Butt a love slap before you put it in the smoker and it will make some magic BBQ for you.

Where;s my manners ......... Welcome to the Forum.

cfunk25

So from everyone what is your preference a picnic or a butt?  I am going to use pecan pucks in my smoker.  what does everyone else use? 

classicrockgriller

BUTT and BUTT only!

Save the picnic for the experimenting.

watchdog56

I have made 3 butts using a rub all at once  then ftc for a couple of hours and put in vacuum bags and put in freezer for a month. I put a tray under the butts to catch the drippings and then let them cool in frig overnight and took fat off. Put in bottle and when you are reheating the butts pour in the juice with a little water, that way you get a little of the seasoning still. I just reheated in crock pot and everyone loved it.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: cfunk25 on April 29, 2010, 12:32:56 PM
So from everyone what is your preference a picnic or a butt?  I am going to use pecan pucks in my smoker.  what does everyone else use? 

I like pecan or hickory.

I like 2 (pecan or Hickory) then 1 apple.

cfunk25

Okay so my plan was to refrigerate for 6 days and then put it in a roaster/oven to reheat but now i should freeze and then unfreeze 2 days before?  Am I using apple juice or apple cider vingear or both ?  I mix this in with water and put in my roaster. I am just used to smoking and pulling and serving.   ???