My first boston butt on the OBC

Started by DarqMan, April 30, 2010, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

It's been on 7 hours now and the IT is 159.  I woke up twice to check on it and the cabinet temp was and still is holding steady at 200-205.  I'm thinking to reach the 190-195 mark I'll probably have to kick it up later, but for now I'll let it cruise since the temp is stablized and consistent.   And like FLBentRider said, I'm not racing.  
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

db14

Quote from: classicrockgriller on April 30, 2010, 11:08:00 PM
I've had Butts go as long as 26 hrs at 220* (With my PID)

We had a member not too long ago go 28 hrs.

I've never had one get to 195* in 12 hrs using 220* as a cook temp.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

One thing that is good is that the butt is the only thing in the smoker.

Maybe it's those mother loads you've been smoking  ;)

DarqMan

12 hours into the smoke we've got an IT of 176.  It's been in the mid 170's for a while now... I hope she jumps off high center sometime soon :-)

Sounds like CRG knows his stuff. Glad I started it when I did.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

DarqMan

It just came off a few minutes ago.  My first peek was at 190 IT and it looked okay but I decided to go to 195.  It took a full 15 hours starting at 200 and ending at 225.  Here's a pic as it's going into FTC.  I'm so glad I chimed in here last night and took CRG's advice.  If I'd folowed my original plan the guests would be here and I'd have egg in my face.  Thanks CRG!

Ya'll are welcome.... dinner will be served around 8pm and I'm done!  I get to enjoy my company and relax.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TTNuge

Obviously that took years of practice and hours and hours of tending to your smoker..... at least the guests should think so.  What they don't know won't hurt them!

squirtthecat

DarqMan

One of my guests "knew something about BBQ", but he didn't understand why it was wrapped in foil, towels and in the cooler.  His opinion was that when if first comes off is when it's prime to eat.  Well, when I pulled it apart after about 4 hours of resting it was still very hot, he picked on it the whole time and he was impressed.  I did the work (what little there was) but this is a win for the whole Bradley forum.  Thanks again guys.

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here