• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need some help with a side dish

Started by OU812, April 29, 2010, 02:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

These all are sounding good.

I think I'm gonna have ta make some of these ahead of time and warm up come party time.

I think I'm gonna need more serving trays.  ;D

Quarlow

Nice thing with the four bean is no cooking and it is better to make a day or two ahead.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Mornin all we are in Ankeny Iowa today gettin ready to have some fun playin ball.

On the way we went over the suggestions and I liked the green beans wrapped in bacon.

Taby liked the sweet corn then she remembered one of her friends mom made a castroll with noodles and corn in it but couldnt remember what else was in it. Any ideas?

She also liked the spaghetti corn Squirt posted.

Q, I think the 4 bean castroll will be on the table.

BLSH, I like the sound of the Braised Sauerkraut but the girls both went YUCK. Might slip it in there anyhoo.

BuyLowSellHigh

Everyone (well 'cept for my wife) says that about sauerkraut - but the same folks are truly amazed when they've had the washed braised version.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Tenpoint5

If Taby still likes the Creamed Corn Idea I HIGHLY suggest doubling or tripling the recipe. A double batch is what I take to get togethers and I never bring home leftovers. A batch that size is good for 25-30 adults.

I have had the casserole your talking about but I will have to do some searching, I think my Mom has the recipe.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I just came across a Pea and Potato Salad that looks interesting and is on my list for thing to make. If you don't have a mandoline slicer, it looks like it can be time consuming. I'll see if I can get it type up and posted in the morning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

This is printed in Cuisine at Home; June issue. This seems to be a very flexible recipe. You can increase the bacon, and mix it in at the beginning. Their recipe calls for sprinkling it on top just before serving. I believe that is to keep the bacon crisp.

Potato-Pea Salad
4 strip bacon
1 ½ lbs. russet potatoes, peeled (about 4 potatoes)
1 ½ C. frozen peas, thawed
½ C. diced Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
½ C. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
¼ tsp onion powder
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
Makes about 12 (1/2 cup) servings.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, for the potatoes

Cook bacon until very crisp; transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Crumble bacon; set aside.

Quarter potatoes. Carefully slice each quarter using a mandoline to cut into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices. (With a mandoline always use the safety guard). If you don't have a mandoline, you can use a knife.

Boil sliced potatoes until tender, but not mushy; about 5 minutes. Rinse to remove excess starch, and drain well. Transfer to a large bowl. Add peas and Cheddar cheese; toss gently to mix.

Combine mayonnaise, mustard, and onion powder in a separate bowl. Gently fold mayonnaise mixture into potato mixture. Season with salt and cayenne. Chill until ready to server. Before serving sprinkle bacon over salad.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Ok its gettin close to crunch time.  ;)

CRG, any insite on your mac n cheese.

Squirt, have you had a chance to check the cookin times on your Spaghetti corn casserole?

10.5, have you had a chance to see if your Mon has a recipe fro the corn and noodle casserole?

I have printed off EVERYONES recipe so far and Taby will be deciding which ones we will be havin this Sun.

Any more ideas?

squirtthecat

I'll pull the recipe card tonight and let you know!

This is a dip Hal's sister has made a couple times.  It's quite tasty..

--

Spinach Artichoke Dip

1 can artichoke hearts, drained and diced
1 small box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 small jar pimentoes
1 cup mayonnaise
2 cups grated Parmesan (the real stuff, not Kraft)
2 tsp garlic powder

Mix all together except 1/4 cup cheese.  Put in medium Pyrex dish and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Bake uncovered at 350 until bubbly and browned on top (15 - 20 minutes.)   

Cover leftovers with glass or plastic -- the artichokes will literally eat through aluminum foil.

Tenpoint5

Bagel Dip

Ingredients

1 1/3 Cup  Sour Cream
1 1/3 Cup  Real Mayonnaise
2 Tblspoon Parsley or Parsley Flakes
2 Teaspoon Dillweed
2 Teaspoon Accent
2 Pkgs Buddig Corned Beef (Cut into roughly 1/4in squares)

Fresh Bagels cut into wedges.

Directions
Mix everything together except the bagels and refrigerate for a couple of hours for the flavors to blend.  Dip bagels in and enjoy.  Dip may also be served in a hollowed out bread bowl.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

OU - disregard the earlier version of this...    Here is the original.  (given to the Mrs in a cookbook at her wedding shower)

---

Spaghetti Corn Casserole

Layer:

1 stick butter, cut up
  1 can whole kernel corn with liquid
  1 medium onion, chopped
  garlic salt / salt & pepper   (heavy shakes of each)
  8 oz spaghetti (dry), broken in thirds
  1 can creamed corn
  1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour.

Stir at 20 minutes, 40 minutes, and 60 minutes
(recover after each stir)

A rich, delicious side dish!

hal4uk

For something cold..  AND SIMPLE
A version of "Thunder & Lightening"...

All chopped in big chunks...

Tomatoes (use fresh homegrown, Campari from Sam's Club, or cherry --- any tomato that tastes like a tomato)
Green Pepper
Red Onion
Cucumber (peeled)

Store in fridge until guests arrive, then toss with a good Italian dressing, an extra splash of vinegar (plain old white is fine for this), some Kosher salt, and cracked black pepper.

Simple.  Delicious.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

OU812

Thanks for all the replies people.

Talkin with the girls last night there is a request for a cold noodle type dish.

Any ideas?

With what has been agreed on I think I'm gonna need another table to serve the goodies on.

squirtthecat

I bet you could just take Hal's cold veggie salad mix and stir in some cooked/chilled macaroni..  (and more Italian dressing)