• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Ever Smoking

Started by itchybeard, April 29, 2010, 02:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchybeard

Hi All.
Well here it is folks my first ever smoking which is Rainbow Trout caught by me a week previous on a Yellow Dancer fly tied by myself. As you can see still learning how to fillet.
It was a basic dry cure and was hot Oak smoked with temperature and time advise from here (which is fantastic) Thanks again all. Now I've got a bit of confidence
I can spread my wings and try various cures and smoke bisquettes. This Forum is the place to be!!

It tastes great, honest ;)

Had to vacuum pack it quick as the missus was rapidly eating it !!!

Ahhh theres a question is there a chart or something similar for how long various foods will keep vacuum packed in fridge and  vacuum packed frozen?

Cheers.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

ArnieM

Looks good itchy.  Most vac sealers come with estimated for the fridge and freezer.  If you don't have that info, I'll look it up for ya.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

If it taste 1/2 as good as it looks,

You have a winner.

Nice job. Now spread them wings and FLY!

DTAggie

bears fan

Wowser, I bet that was a fighter when reeling in.  Nice job on the smoke and landing the trout.

Tenpoint5

Looks good Itchy. Wait until Caney hears we got another fly tier running around here. Look Out!!

Itchy if you air dry your fillets a little longer (better Pellicle) and ramp your temps up slower (add more time to the stages) that should help keep them white buggers on top of the fillets at bay.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

db14

That's some good sized fish.  Looking pretty good for the first run.

itchybeard

Thanks for your comments so far they are really really appreciated and I will certainly use them.  :)

Regarding the Trout they were good fighters caught at a stillwater which I frequent quite regular.

Here are the 4 fish I caught being taken ready for cleaning, you can get an idea of the size by the wheelbarrow they are in.

I have looked at my Vacuum book and it says fish will keep in fridge 6 days, freezer 12 months but I dare say smoked it will
last much longer. I think they allways air on the side of caution to.

Cheers.

Itchy

3rensho

QuoteIt tastes great, honest

I always believe in a second opinion.  I'll mail ya my address  ;D ;D ;D

It does look delicious.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

RAF128

Quote from: itchybeard on April 30, 2010, 12:03:44 AM

I have looked at my Vacuum book and it says fish will keep in fridge 6 days, freezer 12 months but I dare say smoked it will
last much longer.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.   Smoked they don't last more that a couple of days.    Then they're all eaten ;D.
Fishing season is still a few weeks away for me.   Besides the ones I pan fry fresh from the lake, I'll be smoke some walleye too.

itchybeard

Quote from: RAF128 on April 30, 2010, 04:45:10 AM
Quote from: itchybeard on April 30, 2010, 12:03:44 AM

last much longer.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  Smoked they don't last more that a couple of days.    Then they're all eaten ;D.Fishing season is still a few weeks away for me.   Besides the ones I pan fry fresh from the lake, I'll be smoke some walleye too.

I have to agree I did some gravalax and it was a waste of time vacuum packing it I might as well put it straight on the table lol  ;D ;D. Can't wait to try some different
recipes now.

I would love to fish for some walleye........

Itchy

RossP

Nice job itchybeard, those are some nice lookin Rainbows you got yourself.
Nice that you tied your own fly also. I love fly fishing and tying flies.
Nice job on the smoking also looks yummy.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

itchybeard

Quote from: RossP on April 30, 2010, 11:08:53 PM

Ross

Hi Ross
We have a great deal in common. I suppose it's a natural progression from preparing your own bait to catching the fish then smoking and eating. Thanks for the kind
comments looking forward to sharing our knowledge of all we love.

Cheers.
Itchy

RossP

Quote from: itchybeard on May 01, 2010, 01:34:05 AM
Quote from: RossP on April 30, 2010, 11:08:53 PM

Ross

Hi Ross
We have a great deal in common. I suppose it's a natural progression from preparing your own bait to catching the fish then smoking and eating. Thanks for the kind
comments looking forward to sharing our knowledge of all we love.

Cheers.

Now lets see the fly that worked on those fish.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

itchybeard

Now lets see the fly that worked on those fish.

Ross

Hi Ross here is the little beauty.....

It is a variation on a yellow dancer.
I like to tie them with a little mirrorflash in the tail, rainbow flash body,Yellow tungsten bead head on a #14 b170 hook and yellow cock hackle. Not really your purist fly but it certainly works.
I allways seeem to give some away when I go fishing lol..

I have another 4 fish in the freezer which I shall smoke. I am waiting for a variety of pucks to arrive. what smoke would you suggest for the fish?

Cheers.
Itchy