Farm fish--where to buy

Started by tsquared, May 09, 2010, 07:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

For those of you with a choice about where you buy your salmon, you might want to consider shopping at Target. I have no connection with the store but I am impressed with their announcement this week that they will no longer sell net pen raised salmon. They are switching to closed containment raised fish instead. The reason for this post and my support is that net raised salmon have a serious negative effect on wild salmon that pass near the pens: they pick up sea lice at a juvenile stage that is deadly to their survival. We will be pressuring both our provincial and federal government to pass legislation that will limit and eventually eliminate net pen fish farms on the BC coast but in the meantime, you can help.
Thanks for listening.
T2

classicrockgriller

T2, I don't buy enough Salmon to make a big difference but you guys have my support.

I have read articules on this problem and I know it needs a solution, quickly.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 09, 2010, 08:42:19 AM
T2, I don't buy enough Salmon to make a big difference but you guys have my support.

I have read articules on this problem and I know it needs a solution, quickly.

I completely agree
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TTNuge

I had no idea, thanks for the info.

Quarlow

Another benefit of the land based farms is they can filter out the waste and dry it to make some of the best garden fertilizer.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Quarlow on May 09, 2010, 07:21:44 PM
Another benefit of the land based farms is they can filter out the waste and dry it to make some of the best garden fertilizer.
Most of them use Talapia to do the filtering first. Seen that on Dirty Jobs
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!