Gizmo

Started by Oldman, May 02, 2010, 09:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I saw the image of your upside down container.

I'm impressed to say the least.

Next I don't wish to sound out of place with the following statements / suggestions...

I take it that this is your first time to grow upside down. Don't worry about the amount of soil you have. I have up to 5 plants (tomatoes and peppers) in one 5 gallon bucket.  Tomatoes become very demanding in water. You will end up watering twice per day. Next I take it you are using a chemical fertilizer. I strongly suggest you use fertilizer slow releasing spikes for tomatoes. "Jobes" is a good brand. If you use any other type of regular chemical fertilizer there will be to much nitrogen and you will end up with much green but few tomatoes.

Next I suggest that while it is expensive you get one gallon of Maxicrop Liquefied Seaweed. Mix it one ounce per gallon of water (US.) Once or twice per week water your plant with that mixture. It will supply all of the items that are lacking in chemical fertilizers. Apply enough when watering or using the Maxicrop so that the water is running out of the bottom of your container.

Now I use those cheap aluminum turkey pans and place them under my plants so I can catch and use the run off for the second watering of the day.

The tomato plant will totally fill your container with roots to the point that inserting a new fertilizer spike will take some effort. If you do not keep your plant's water level up to par then you will be asking for a host of problems.

I hope you will accept my statements here in the good faith that I have made them.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Gizmo

Not out of place at all Olds I really appreciate your support.  Your results more than speak for themselves and yes, this is my first adventure into tomatoes. 

I'll have to check the stores or nursery to see if they carry the Maxicrop Liquefied Seaweed as I would prefer not to order it on line and have to wait.  I am sure they carry it around here some where.  Jobes sticks are easily obtainable so I'll pick them up as well.

I am glad you mentioned the watering.  I was only going to water twice a week until it gets hotter as I usually end up over watering.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

Quoteas I usually end up over watering.
You  cannot over water an upside down container as the water runs out the hole in the bottom.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!