Hungry for a Chili Dog

Started by Sailor, May 30, 2010, 09:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Thought I would share a recipe for a good if not great chili to top off a hot dog.  Just made up a pot and feed the the family chili dogs for lunch.

Chili Dog Chili
Serves 18 to 24 on chili dogs, 4 to 6 servings on its own
•   1/4 cup vegetable oil
•   2 medium garlic cloves, minced
•   1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
•   5 tablespoons good-quality chili powder
•   2 teaspoons sugar
•   1 teaspoon ground cumin
•   1 pound ground beef
•   1 pound ground pork
•   1/4 cup tomato paste
•   2 cups beef broth
•   6 tablespoons cornmeal
•   2 teaspoons salt
•   2 bay leaves
Method:
1.   In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until light golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the chili powder, sugar, and cumin and sauté, stirring constantly, until they are fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
2.   Add the beef and pork and sauté, stirring and mashing the meat with a wooden spoon to break it up into fine particles, until evenly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
3.   Stir in the tomato paste, broth, cornmeal, salt, and bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is very thick but still slightly fluid, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaves before serving over chili dogs or as you like.

I used 8/1 Hebrew Nationals on a Potato roll.  Mustard on the bun, then place the dog in and top with chili, chopped onion and shredded cheese.  Pretty good dog if you ever get a craving for a chili cheese dog.  I am almost positive that someone will figure out a way to smoke it  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

Sailor that does sound good.

I bookmark this for next time I have enough people over that we can use it up.

Sounds good. Thanks!

TestRocket

Sounds good to me too! We did a chili cook off at work a couple of months ago and I used my uncle's recipe because it's so good. Anyway I came in sixth of six entries and out of two gallons of chili every drop of mine was eaten???  :P

OU812

Now that sounds like a good thick chili.

I love chili cheese dogs and will definitely be tryin this.

Thanks Sailor.