Bread from Starter.

Started by classicrockgriller, May 04, 2010, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I cant wait for some fresh bread this weekend!

KevinG

I don't think anything gets my stomache grumbling as much as fresh bread being baked, and when it's done it is ohhhh soooo gooood.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Quote from: KevinG on May 06, 2010, 08:07:57 AM
I don't think anything gets my stomache grumbling as much as fresh bread being baked, and when it's done it is ohhhh soooo gooood.

You got that right.

classicrockgriller

After the last batch of bread and letting the starter rest for a cple of days,

I pulled the starter out of fridge today

Went thru step 1 of making bread and instead made two starters

Took two 1/2 sheet pans and lined with parchment paper and spread out what was left of the starter

And into the oven with just the oven lite on to dry out and try to make a reusable starter.

KevinG

You do realize your just asking for someone to turn on that oven.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KevinG on May 06, 2010, 10:02:54 PM

They will only do it once .... in their lifetime!

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 06, 2010, 10:05:44 PM
Quote from: KevinG on May 06, 2010, 10:02:54 PM

They will only do it once .... in their lifetime!
Ouch..... the monkey has spoken.  ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

Just 'cause I killed that one guy (that needed killin') don't mean I'm gonna take your old lady out, ok?
Besides.. Who would mis-match your socks for ya?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Actually I did that for my stupidness.

I killed my Oregon Trail sour dough starter the other day by accident.

I had it in the oven with lite on to like proof it and told son to turn on oven for biscuits.

Cook the starter and it died.

I wasn't a happy camper.

Quarlow

You could say there were no happy trails in that oven. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

hal4uk

We ain't gettin' nowheres near that confounded oven...
When me & Q come down to visit, you gotta come meet us in Austin--no---make that Los Cruces---just to be safe, OK?  Or Omaha.  You pick. 
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

deb415611

CRG -

Do you make anything besides bread with your starter?  We should start a separate thread with recipes. I think I'm going to do waffles tonight with the cast off starter.   King Arthur flour has a couple cake recipes on their website that sound interesting - chocolate & carrot.

Just an fyi & I'm not saying this is optimal & might not work with CRG's starter because of the sugar.....  my starter was in the fridge for at least 3 months without being fed....  I have fed it twice and it's looking very happy - it tripled overnight.  I'll feed it tonight and make some bread this weekend.   My starter is the Camoldi Italian Starter from sourdo.com which I had originally bought to make pizza.  It's not a real sour sourdough.  It's at least 3 yrs old.

KevinG

I tried waffles, had a recipe and it didn't quite work too well. They seemed flimsy instead of crunchy. Guess I'm used to frozen waffles and expect that now.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: deb415611 on May 07, 2010, 03:24:15 AM
CRG -

Do you make anything besides bread with your starter?  We should start a separate thread with recipes. I think I'm going to do waffles tonight with the cast off starter.   King Arthur flour has a couple cake recipes on their website that sound interesting - chocolate & carrot.

Just an fyi & I'm not saying this is optimal & might not work with CRG's starter because of the sugar.....  my starter was in the fridge for at least 3 months without being fed....  I have fed it twice and it's looking very happy - it tripled overnight.  I'll feed it tonight and make some bread this weekend.   My starter is the Camoldi Italian Starter from sourdo.com which I had originally bought to make pizza.  It's not a real sour sourdough.  It's at least 3 yrs old.

Deb, I haven't with this starter.

When my sour dough was alive, I made pancakes, waffles, bread and rolls.

This bread starter, I have not been able to make enough to keep up with the demand.

Is one of the reason I started a second starter. To have one to experiment with.

Think I am going to have to find a source for larger quanities of flour.

I will be watching for your post on your starter.