Bread from Starter.

Started by classicrockgriller, May 04, 2010, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Hope to get fresh Blackberries soon. Yum!

hal4uk

Did someone say black berries?   :P
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

mikeradio

Hey CRG

if  when you get the dehydrated starter working, i am not sure I can find King Arthur Bread Flour
here in Prince George.  Do you think I can use other bread flour to feed the starter??

Mike

classicrockgriller

Tell me what you can get in a premium Bread flour and let me try with that.

Gold Meadl Bread Flour

Pilsbury makes one.

Let me know.

mikeradio

I will check this weekend when I am the store and let you know.

Thanks

Mike

Sorce

Ok so I've seen several posts on the starter. I know my dad has a bread machine and makes bread pretty often. What are the benefits of using a starter over a prepackaged bread yeast every time. I'm trying to decide of getting ahold of a starter and keeping it alive are worth the trouble for me as I rarely make any type of bread.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Sorce on May 28, 2010, 08:17:27 PM
Ok so I've seen several posts on the starter. I know my dad has a bread machine and makes bread pretty often. What are the benefits of using a starter over a prepackaged bread yeast every time. I'm trying to decide of getting ahold of a starter and keeping it alive are worth the trouble for me as I rarely make any type of bread.

Sorce, if you don't think you have the time to make great Bread, then a sweet yeast, sour dough starter is not for you.

I'm not trying to be rude .... but the starter is active and alive.

You have to care for it.

Borrow your Dad's bread machine and see the difference in some good bread that it makes and store bread.

Sorce

I recognize the difference, my question was more what's the difference between making the bread made from a starter and the bread made from a packaged yeast from scratch. It wasn't that it was that I didn't have the time, it was more of a question of would the difference be big enough that I would make the time as opposed to making fresh bread from a recipe and a packet of yeast. I've seen the difference between fresh bread and store bought stuff, I was asking more what is the difference between various starters and a process of making your own either using the bread machine or not. I understand that it has to be cared for and tended to every week or so, I'm just trying to get an idea of what benefits a starter has over starting fresh every time.

classicrockgriller

Pkg Bread from yeast is a convenience. (make it when YOU want to make bread)

Part of having a starter is the nostalgic aspect of something older than you that still works.

This is a sweet/yeast Bread slightly different than a sourdough bread.

I've never own a bread machine, and am sure there are great.

I have had the 1847 Sourdough starter and loved it.

I like this one better.

Sorce

Ok, so I'm guessing you get a different unreplicatable flavor from the starter? It's something that has interested me but also seems like a commitment so I was trying to figure out what the benefit of it was. I was just curious, I may get into making my own bread and figure I would attempt to make my own starter and keep that alive and going for a while before I would ask anyone for some of theirs. I would feel terrible having it for a short time and not looking after it and letting it die. I was more curious than anything else as to whether the yeast gave you a different flavor or it was more the nostalgia than anything.

classicrockgriller

This bread has it's own taste.

I have had 3 different starters.

the 1847 that you can get for free.

made my first one from scratch

and this one

I guess I really don't know how to answer your question.

All I can tell you the Bread is damn good!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Sorce on May 28, 2010, 09:12:07 PM
Ok, so I'm guessing you get a different unreplicatable flavor from the starter? It's something that has interested me but also seems like a commitment so I was trying to figure out what the benefit of it was. I was just curious, I may get into making my own bread and figure I would attempt to make my own starter and keep that alive and going for a while before I would ask anyone for some of theirs. I would feel terrible having it for a short time and not looking after it and letting it die. I was more curious than anything else as to whether the yeast gave you a different flavor or it was more the nostalgia than anything.

The primary reason for using starters or, more appropriately, cultures in lieu of commercial yeast is flavor.  A starter is a complex culture of yeast and bacteria that cannot be replicated with commercial packaged yeast alone.  Use of those cultures  yields unique flavor profiles that many consider superior and more desirable.  They are the basis for good sourdoughs and very traditional breads such as the French Pain au Levain that cannot be duplicated with commercial yeast strains.

Maintaining a culture is a commitment. It is much like having a pet. I have one that I grew from scratch that is now six months old and gave it a name.  The hardest and most time consuming part is the first two weeks.  After that if I don't use it maintenance is three feedings at twelve hour intervals every four days.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here