Lobster Tails

Started by JF7FSU, May 08, 2010, 01:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Ok I bought 4 tails at Costco and plan to put them on my gas grill tomorrow for mothers day.  I can't seem to pin down an internal temperature for them anyone got an idea where they should end up? 

Also, I have been reading that some people split the shell, laying them on top of the shell to cook them I guess providing indirect heat.   I was thinking about skewering them after being completely out so they dont curl up and can be turned easily.  Was gonna baste with a little garlic butter and that it. 

Anyone have a better idea and especially the temperature question since I got my new Thermapen  ;D   
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

BuyLowSellHigh

Minimum IT = 145 F for safety.  After that it's a matter of taste how high you go.  The higher you go, the drier and tougher they get.

Your plan sounds good to me, and tasty too!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

Just a thought , but if you want to cook them in the shell to help reduce the dryness

and not have them curl up, you could run your skewer thru the Lobster still in the shell.

hal4uk

Lay 'em on a cutting board, hard-shell side up and cut lengthwise, but not completely through (and not at all through the tail).  Then fold open to get to lay open flat (some more of the shell near the tail will probably crack a little when you do that).  Leave 'em that way - i.e. don't pull the meat up out of the shell and lay on top (that makes a good presentation when cooking carefully watched - but, yes, they have a tendency to curl, and even fall over).  Also, make sure and "fan out" the tail good; that helps keep it laying stable, and makes a great presentation.

Make plenty of garlic/lemon butter; use some to baste while cooking, and some to serve on the side.  When you melt the butter, be sure and strain the solids out.  Doesn't really taste bad, but it looks bad. 

When you baste 'em, be sure and baste the fantails good; they need to stay moist and should be a gorgeous shiny reddish color when done, and not all burnt up.  That's just for presentation, but hey, if it looks good, it tastes good.

Most importantly, don't overcook 'em.  They cook quickly, and like shrimp, you can pretty much tell when they're done by looking.  The meat should be firm and white - but still juicy.

Lastly (in case I forgot to say), DO NOT OVERCOOK 'EM  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

FLBentRider

What Hal said!

I think they are done as soon as the meat is no longer translucent. I've never stuck a thermometer in a lobster tail.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 10, 2010, 06:41:01 AM
What Hal said!

I think they are done as soon as the meat is no longer translucent. I've never stuck a thermometer in a lobster tail.

I haven't either - but when asked ... 145 is the food safety number.  Fact is, they (and pretty much all seafood) gets done real fast.  For the record I like sushi (but I like steak tartar too).
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here