Help with Brisket please

Started by StickyDan, May 06, 2010, 03:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

Just picked up a brisket directly from the meet farm.  Not bad, 21$ for a 7lb brisket.  Only problem is it's been cut into three pieces from end to end - IE one centre piece and two end pieces.  .  So now what the heck am I suppose to do?? (sorry, can't figure out how to post photo). 
Couple questions -
1 - I don't know much about butchering cows so do they age than butcher it?  Or would this brisket be fresh off the cow?  Should I age it?  If so, how long and what method should I use?
2- Rub?  I've found lots of recipes for making rubs.  I'd like to know what some of you guys like the best. 

Thanks and I look forward to any help you guys can provide.
Cheers

classicrockgriller

Kinda sounds like they were cutting it up for corned beef or pastrami.

Is kinda unusual.

Some one recently posted they smoked a fresh brisket and it came out dry,

so you might want to think about an injection or a brine of some sort.

I'm sure others will have some thoughts.

FLBentRider

Quote from: StickyDan on May 06, 2010, 03:50:15 PM
Just picked up a brisket directly from the meet farm.  Not bad, 21$ for a 7lb brisket.  Only problem is it's been cut into three pieces from end to end - IE one centre piece and two end pieces.  .  So now what the heck am I suppose to do?? (sorry, can't figure out how to post photo). 
Couple questions -
1 - I don't know much about butchering cows so do they age than butcher it?  Or would this brisket be fresh off the cow?  Should I age it?  If so, how long and what method should I use?
2- Rub?  I've found lots of recipes for making rubs.  I'd like to know what some of you guys like the best. 

Thanks and I look forward to any help you guys can provide.
Cheers

Does it have a fat cap?

For your first brisket, I would suggest a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders. I like to taste the meat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

StickyDan

Yes it does have a fat cap. Looks like I'll be doing a little trimming.  Just watched some videos on how to trim so now i guess I'm an expert!!  I'll give it a shot in the am.  Also found this rub recipe that looks interesting.  I came as close as I could with the spices I had in the cupboard.  Pretty spicy stuff. And I mean spicy.  Not only did I spill a bunch all over myself, I also managed to get it my eyes.  Ouuuweee that's hot!!!!   I happened to smoke some prawns and scallops for dinner tonight so I sprinkled a little bit on a few prawns.  It's pretty damn good and the wife liked it too. 

Texas-Style Brisket Rub
NOTE: This recipe is sufficient for a 10-12 lb./4.5-5.4 kg beef brisket.

Mix together thoroughly the following:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup fresh cracked black pepper
2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
Rub your brisket thoroughly, barbecue, and receive endless accolades.

BuyLowSellHigh

The challenge I see is that at 7 lbs total in three pieces, if they are about equal you're working with ~ 2.5 lb chunks.  It may be a bit tricky to balance cooking time and temp to for slow cooking without tending to dry out.  I think CRG has it right on injecting, even if just some veg oil.

On rubs for beef I am with FLB.  A great starting point is McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning, which is basically what FLB describes.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

I would not trim unless you want to trim down a 1" cap down a little.  Especially because of the smaller sizes.  If I had those 3 pieces to do.  I'd put rub on all the pieces and when I put them on the grill I'd fit them together generally how they were naturally.  Won't necessarily act as one piece of meat, but you do have less cut faces of the leaner cuts exposed to drying out.  Cooking time is heavily influenced by the thickness of a cut.  i.e. the thinner cuts will be done sooner than the thicker.  Some cut their brisket up just for that reason.  I'd monitor the IT of the thinnest piece.  Take it out when done, then monitor the next thick.  Take it out when done, then concentrate on the thickest.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"