Cook time for pork butt

Started by dreys50, May 06, 2010, 08:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreys50

Hey guys,

So I am using the wall mount sensor for my Auber PID in my OBS. I generally cook on the middle 2 racks, so my sensor is mounted between the lowest rack, and the 2nd up from the bottom.

This past weekend I cooked a 7lb bone-in butt @205F, and it took nearly 30 hrs to get to 190 (I just took it out at 185).  My ambient temp was upper 70s F, and my OBS is protected from wind.

It turned out great and the time wasnt even really a problem, but it seemed like a very long time to me. Could this be due to the location of my sensor?

I know the Auber instructions say to mount below the uppermost rack and mention that the temp is inconsistent towards the bottom of the unit - BUT Ive always bought into the idea that you want the temp of the heat exposed to the meat (bottom) so I mounted it lower do to my rack preference. Wondering if this lead to my longer cook time.

FLBentRider

The back of the box is hotter than the front. I've never measured how much. This stems from the fact that the heating element is at the back.

I could have just been a stubborn butt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

What I've notice with my Digital smoker, where the temp sensor in on the back wall right above the heat, is that the temp indicated on the bradley SG is much higher that what is shown on my PID.   The sensor for the PID is hanging from the top down.   I've confirmed the PID temp is correct with another sensor in the tower at the same time.   Prior to getting the PID everything took longer to cook than expected and IMO that's because the actual temp inthe tower was lower than I thought.
What I did with my last pork butt was to put tin foil on the back half of the   "V" tray.   Dripping could still drip out the bottom of the tray but the heat was deflected towards the front and not straight up to the sensor.    IMO it work very well.   Did the same with some Sausage I made. 

ArnieM

Yeah, temps vary in the cabinet.  That's why some install a fan.  And yes, some butts can be ornery.  The bottom is you did the correct thing - cook it 'til it's done.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Definitely. It is finished when it's IT is right not when the hours have run out.
I personally would not mount my probe to the back wall. As others have said it is right above the heating element.
The best way I have seen is to slide it into a couple of paper clips hanging under the lowest rack that has meat on it Right in the middle of the rack. This will give you the closest temp to what the meat is actually receiving.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

30 Hours?
Like.. with a "3" and a zero? 
30?

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Yeah it sounds like he was really cooking at 160f or 170f.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Quarlow on May 06, 2010, 10:21:17 PM

Was probaly cooking at his finished IT, 185*

hal4uk

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 06, 2010, 10:25:19 PM

BINGO.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

dreys50

Yes, 30 hours. It was pretty insane.

The Auber PID was giving me a steady reading of 205F the entire time, which is why I ask if my probe location was giving me a poor reading at which the Auber was working off. I completely agree that the actual temp was probably 185, it makes perfect sense. I guess I may try the Auber suggested location, or go back to the hanging probe.

Mr B

Quote from: hal4uk on May 06, 2010, 10:30:41 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 06, 2010, 10:25:19 PM

BINGO.

I'll Bingo that Bingo.