A question about skinless, boneless chicken thighs

Started by jboy, February 26, 2010, 02:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jboy

Hi, first time poster - novice to intermediate smoker.

I usually smoke baby back ribs or brisket with much success and tried doing skinless/boneless chicken thighs for the first time last week.  The taste was excellent and it was nice and moist on the inside, but the outer texture was rather tough.

Is there anything that I should do differently to prevent the outer toughness.  I smoked them for about 6 hours at 80'C with apple wood.

I appreciate any help.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Joby!

I would wrap in bacon or use the skinning thighs and throw the skin away.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Since the meat was moist and not dry, then they were not over cooked. What was your final internal temperature of the thighs. Thighs have a lot of connective tissue and if you under cook them they will be tough. You should cook legs and thighs to 165°F. Also if you are not already doing so, rub them down  with olive oil prior to smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jboy

Thanks for the responses. 

I've done some more investigating online and a couple of consistent responses I heard agreed with Habanero regarding the olive oil.  Another response I found often is to cook them at a higher temperature- although that varied.

Any ideas are always appreciated.

georgeamer

I use thighs with bone in and skin on...I pre cook the skin on a "sear burner" for a minute or so, until the fat starts to drip.
I use apple wood at about 220f for up to 2 hrs., until internal temp is 175-180f. I find there is some pink meat if only cooked to 165...
Any comments on the final internal temp?
George

classicrockgriller

I marinade and grill alot of chicken thighs and i cook till I get clear juices.

I prefer to grill skinless thighs and they work great on the grill.

You could try smoking for hr or so then finish on the grill.