White buggers?

Started by itchybeard, May 10, 2010, 08:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itchybeard

I am getting those white buggers on top of trout when hot smoking. What are they?
I followed a trout recipe to the letter as well  :'(
I dried the trout for 4 hours with a fan as well. maybe that was not enough. I'm not 100% sure what the pellicle looks like.
can you help  :)
Cheers.
Happy Smoking ><((((((o>~~~~~
Itchy

Just coming dear...:D

BuyLowSellHigh

It's probably curd formation - comes from heating and cooking before sufficient drying - basically baking the fish.  The white stuff is soluble protein being "boiled" up to the surface, kind of like the meat juices that rise to the top when on a hot grill.

Here are a couple of excellent references on smoking fish - the first is for home smokers, the second is more slanted for professional or commercial production.  The second has a pic of curd formation on hot smoked fish (that's why I remembered the paper).

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/pnw/pnw238.pdf

http://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/sgpubs/onlinepubs/i01001.pdf

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Tenpoint5

The pellicle that I usually wait for when doing my fish is almost a almost hard dried texture that is tacky when you touch it. If you can understand what I am trying to say
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

itchybeard

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 10, 2010, 11:11:39 AM
The pellicle that I usually wait for when doing my fish is almost a almost hard dried texture that is tacky when you touch it. If you can understand what I am trying to say

Thanks Tenpoint5
I think I know what you are saying. The latest lot of fish were better. I noticed some curd when in the smoker but it seemed to disappear during the final step of the smoking?.
Thanks to BuyLowSellHigh for the information.

Here are the latest lot of trout...

Cheers.
Itchy

BuyLowSellHigh

I think you need to send me a sample for close inspection - that tray in the front should be enough.   ;D

Edit - interrupted by a 10-year old - those look absolutely outstanding!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

itchybeard

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 10, 2010, 02:57:30 PM
I think you need to send me a sample for close inspection - that tray in the front should be enough.   ;D

Edit - interrupted by a 10-year old - those look absolutely outstanding!

Thanks BuyLowSellHigh. Your kind words really mean a lot especially coming from someone who knows their business. I cant wait to get the smoker on again  :)

I think what helped me this time was the PID in controlling the temperature more precisely and kummocks salmon recipe.
I did add 1ltr of apple juice to the brine mixture along with 1tbsp of ground ginger. Smoked for 2.5 hours of maple.

Allthough I say it myself they do taste extremely nice.

Cheers.
Itchy

Tenpoint5

Them look great! You can also put them on the racks and let them sit uncovered in the fridge over night. Should help with the pellicle
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

itchybeard

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 10, 2010, 03:36:42 PM
Them look great! You can also put them on the racks and let them sit uncovered in the fridge over night. Should help with the pellicle

That's a good idea I think I will try that next time. There sure to have formed the pellicle by then also ready to smoke first thing in the morning.
I like it.
I am learning more and more every day thanks to the good knowledgeable folks on here, brilliant.

Cheers.
Itchy

classicrockgriller

WOW!

Those are really nice looking and I don't like fish that much.

Nice job!