• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pastrami ... Pastrami ... Pastrami

Started by classicrockgriller, May 10, 2010, 09:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on May 10, 2010, 12:05:49 PM
What if you sliced it first into strips, then put the rub on it and into the bag for 24 hours?  I'm thinking that just might work for pastrami jerky.. 

Oh Sonny, could we talk to you for a minute?  We've got this experiment we want you to sacrifice one of your corned beef briskets for. :D

KyNola   

I'm ready let's do it.

KyNola

I was just kidding about asking you to sacrifice one of your briskets for a pastrami jerky experiment but I do think the theory might be sound.  You would sure have to trim the fat cap off of a brisket.

classicrockgriller

These are well trimmed and have one about three lbs.

Let's do it.

KyNola

It's your brisket and I've got nothing to lose!  Give it a shot.

You won't need any cure as the brisket has already been cured.  All you would really need is the rub ingredients and you mentioned earlier you have those.  You're ready to rock and roll!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on May 10, 2010, 01:24:00 PM
It's your brisket and I've got nothing to lose!  Give it a shot.

You won't need any cure as the brisket has already been cured.  All you would really need is the rub ingredients and you mentioned earlier you have those.  You're ready to rock and roll!

Why Not!

Can't hurt it, it's dead!

KyNola

Got that right!  Was thinking about something you could use to make a wet marinade with the rub ingredients in it thinking it might permeate the meat better that way but not sure how much of liquid vs. how much of rub ingredients you would use.

BuyLowSellHigh

I have no idea if this would work, but I am thinking coating with freshly ground horseradish instead of the traditional black pepper and coriander.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

FLBentRider

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 10, 2010, 03:12:12 PM
I have no idea if this would work, but I am thinking coating with freshly ground horseradish instead of the traditional black pepper and coriander.

Neat idea, but I wonder about the texture after it is dried... I wonder the same for the traditional pastrami rub. The hard part is figuring out how to keep it from falling off.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Keeping it on during the smoking shouldn't be difficult - the challenging part will be during the steaming.

I believe the key will be protein binding - so some drying as in making bacon to form a sticky protein pellicle surface should help.  Second, make a sticky paste.  I'm thinking of garlic - raw or lightly roasted - with grated fresh horseradish root, put it in a processor, add some mustard and black pepper if you want, process to a smooth paste, add a touch of veg oil if needed to thin.  Let rest 24 hrs in refrig to get air out, then smear it on the somewhat dried and hopefully sticky beef.  HR root to garlic maybe ~ 2:1 is my SWAG.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 10, 2010, 04:15:08 PM
Keeping it on during the smoking shouldn't be difficult - the challenging part will be during the steaming.

I believe the key will be protein binding - so some drying as in making bacon to form a sticky protein pellicle surface should help.  Second, make a sticky paste.  I'm thinking of garlic - raw or lightly roasted - with grated fresh horseradish root, put it in a processor, add some mustard and black pepper if you want, process to a smooth paste, add a touch of veg oil if needed to thin.  Let rest 24 hrs in refrig to get air out, then smear it on the somewhat dried and hopefully sticky beef.  HR root to garlic maybe ~ 2:1 is my SWAG.

Ok, I'm bringing you the brisket!

BuyLowSellHigh

No problem - c'mon down!  You're always welcome down here.

As I thought more about it, my mind started running overtime with all kinds of variations.  I'm thinking you can do the Pastrami thing with about any taste variation you wish by using either a dry or wet rub.  They keys are the cure, the smoke and then the final cook.  But I do especially like the idea of a Horseradish Pastrami.

KyNola

CRG, Interesting thoughts on pastrami jerky.  Take some pics of the process and finished results. I wouldn't worry about the cure process that BLSH mentioned as your corned beef brisket is already cured and you may not need to steam your pastrami jerky.

KyNola

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: KyNola on May 10, 2010, 06:45:03 PM
CRG, Interesting thoughts on pastrami jerky.  Take some pics of the process and finished results. I wouldn't worry about the cure process that BLSH mentioned as your corned beef brisket is already cured and you may not need to steam your pastrami jerky.

KyNola

Seems like I wasn't clear.  I wasn't talking about the cure, just the coating before the smoke, and I wasn't describing jerky, but rather a full pastrami treatment.  Sorry if I confused anyone.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on May 10, 2010, 06:45:03 PM
CRG, Interesting thoughts on pastrami jerky.  Take some pics of the process and finished results. I wouldn't worry about the cure process that BLSH mentioned as your corned beef brisket is already cured and you may not need to steam your pastrami jerky.

KyNola

This may be out of my league!

I'll wait till FLBR has a shot at it.

Quarlow

I picked up a corned beef today and when I got home and converted from metric I just about crapped myself. $6.29 a lb. I won't be experimenting with this. Just straight up pastrami. I'll check the recipe site for the recipe.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.