is my OBS defective?

Started by MikeyP, May 09, 2010, 10:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyP

First time using the OBS and I'm set to smoke some Turkey legs and wings. I'm trying to season the unit and I advance a Puck onto the burner just fine, but after 10 minutes there is still no smoke. Am I missing something or is there something wrong with my unit?  :-\

NePaSmoKer

Are the pucks sliding to the end of the slider?

Only the end 3" gets hot to smoke the pucks just before they fall into the bowl.

MikeyP

Yep, it advanced 3 times and there is a puck sitting on the burner with nothing happening.  All power lights are on....

Mr Walleye

Hi MikeyP and welcome to the forum.

Is the puck burner plate hot? (be careful touching it  ;) )

If it's not there could be a wire off inside the generator. This is not uncommon, shipping usually jostles them around pretty good. The generator comes apart easily. Just take the generator off the tower. On the bottom of the generator remove the perimeter screws (not the ones in the middle). I think there is 8 of them. Once apart, check for any disconnected wires, especially the advance motor wires. It wouldn't hurt to unplug them and replug them in case it's just a bad connection.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KevinG

I don't normally start my pucks on the heater, I preheat by letting the unit advance them in order for it to get up to temp first. After the preheat, if you put a droplet of water on the end it should sizzle. If not, you probably have a connection problem. I'm thinking by 10 minutes it should've been hot though.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

MikeyP

Loose wire!  As soon as I took it apart, I saw one of the main wires un-coupled, hooked them back up and we have smoke!!!  Thanks guys for your prompt help you really saved the day.  Wings and turkey legs are back on!!!!

Wish me luck on my first smoke!

Mr Walleye

Atta boy MikeyP!

Go get em!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG