Simple but Great Side Dishes

Started by MWS, May 24, 2005, 03:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I'm looking for tried and true, simple but fabulous (smoked or not) side dishes to go with the excellent smoked meats that I've become accustomed to making with my Bradley.....I'm looking for simple and easy because I like to spend time with family and friends when entertaining and not too much prep etc. I've learned alot about using the Bradley from this forum in the 9 month's that I've owned it, so I figure there has to be a lot of untapped expertise in finishing a great meal with the perfect side dishes. What do you all like to do for side dishes when entertaining a crowd....

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

jaeger

Here is a salad that I like to make from time to time.

Macaroni Salad
2# bag of macaroni (or substitute pasta)
1 16oz can of peas
1 Medium size Onion of choice
2 Cucumbers
1 to 2 cups of Mild shredded cheese
3/4 jar of Miracle Whip
1 Cup of milk

Prep:
*Cook pasta according to directions.
*Chop onions
*Cut cucumbers length wise, hollow out the seeds(dispose).
Cut about 4 length wise strips per half and chop into cubes.

After pasta has cooled and been strained, add Miracle Whip, milk,onion and cucumber. Mix well. Should be creamy.
Stir in peas and cheese last.
When you make this, you want it just a little extra "creamy", as the ingredients will absorb some of the moisture.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

BigSmoker

The bacon wrapped asparagus is great.  I think the duck killer shared this with us a while back.  I marinate the asparagus in my food tumbler with some Italian dressing and a little EVOO for 10 minutes.  If you don't have a tumbler just cover asparagus with dressing and marinate for an hour or two.  Remove asparagus and lay it all out on a flat surface and then I sprinkle with a rub called Tusnami Spin.  If you don't have this your favorite rub or nothing else works too.  Let the rub melt in for 10 minutes or so then wrap 4-6 pieces with thin, cheap, stretchy bacon.  Grill @ 350f turning several times to crisp bacon on all sides(I think about 30 minutes total on my grill).  You can use the Bradley for this if your cooking some other stuff or don't have to worry about a longer cook time.  Serve with fowl, beef, pork and fish.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MWS

Thanks guys, I'll give them a try. Last night I made a coleslaw from S&S ('Creamy Coleslaw') and it was fantastic. It went great with some leftover ribs.

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

Brother Bill

Mike-Here's a recipe stolen from a friend that we use quite often with great results. GRILLED POTATOES! --From Brother Bill

First fold a large piece of Foil in half to accomodate the amount of thinly slices (unpeeled potatoes).
Next-place potatoes in center of foil & season: S&P,Sweet paprika, chopped onions or challots,your choice of grated cheese, then DOT
with butter. Fold foil leaving a small space above for the steam to build up.
Then place on coverd grill on medium heat turning every 10 or so minutes till potatoes are done. about 40 to 50 min depending on your heat settings.

Finally, test your seasonings, and sprinkle with whatever you wish.
We like to use a bit of pepper flakes, crispy bacon, and lots of fresh parsley(if available)-if not any dried herb will do.(Oregano)

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

i like to take an onion  ( yellow or a walla walla ant one will do ) and 1/4 it, place on a piece of foil then a pat of butter and garlic salt and pepper, wrap it up , place it on the hottest part of the grill when you start it up, about 20 min.  best side dish when ever you use your grill , oh yea just dont do one you wont be happy,

MallardWacker

I just bought some Vidaila's.  That is a great idea.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

I do the same thing Rob does, just a bit different.  Put the onion on the foil, 1/4 it, but don't cut all the way through.  Pat of butter, and a little Oregano and Basil.  Wrap back up (in its normal shape now since not sliced all the way through) and 20-30 minutes on the grill.  Damn fine with those sweet onions!  You will drink the juices out of the foil! [:p]

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Damn fine with those sweet onions! You will drink the juices out of the foil<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ya baby....Now weed be doin sum talk'n.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

also i have taken a whole onion , dont peel it leave the skin on throw the whole thing next to the hot coals of your campfire, turn it once or twice ,let the thing cook it will get black, about 20 min , then peel of the black (burnt)skin  and eat.

Oldman

Now an easy way to end a meal is with Raw Apple Cake with HO-Made Carmel Sauce.

You can mix all items up the day before. The take them out for  baking/ cooking a few hours before your meal. I'm not a baker by any means but this is just too simple.

As you sit down to the meal you slap the cake in the oven for one hour. When it is done set it aside to keep warm. When ready to serve it place your carmel ingredents onto the stove top...boil 1 minute-- then remove. Cut up cake pour sauce over it.

<b>The WoW Factor To End A Perfect Meal!</b>

<b><font color="red">Warning!</font id="red"></b> I suggest you cut the cake into piece no bigger than 2 inchs square.... this cake is filling!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

I hadn't grilled onions for a couple of years. I'll definitly be adding this to my must do list. I used to grill onions and yellow squash from my vegetable garden every summer. This year I've planted some weird looking summer squash (my wife chose it) and a couple of rows of onion.  I've also tried a 'three sisters companion garden' this year. At the centre of a mound I plant a clump of 6 corn plants, then sourround that with scarlett runner beans and plant squash, cucumbers and pumpkin around that.  The pole beans use the corn for climbing and in turn fix nitrogen for the corn, while the squash, cucumber and pumpkin shades and keeps the weeds away fom the beans.  I know its unrelated to the topic but I'm kinda excited about it. [:D]

-John Wayne

Mike 

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Now an easy way to end a meal is with Raw Apple Cake with HO-Made Carmel Sauce.

You can mix all items up the day before. The take them out for  baking/ cooking a few hours before your meal. I'm not a baker by any means but this is just too simple.

As you sit down to the meal you slap the cake in the oven for one hour. When it is done set it aside to keep warm. When ready to serve it place your carmel ingredents onto the stove top...boil 1 minute-- then remove. Cut up cake pour sauce over it.

<b>The WoW Factor To End A Perfect Meal!</b>

<b><font color="red">Warning!</font id="red"></b> I suggest you cut the cake into piece no bigger than 2 inchs square.... this cake is filling!

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This cake is definitely among the best if not the best I've ever eaten.  Olds is the man[:D][8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.