• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ok here I go!!

Started by Quarlow, May 10, 2010, 07:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

I got Prague Pwder#1 and I got Mortons Tenderquick. And I have an 8.4 lbs leg of pork(butt portion)and I am ready to make a ham. I want to do a maple flavour cured ham. Now I just need to know what the hell I am doing. Anyone want to weigh in on this? Oh yeah and I got some Ham stockinettes (cheeseclothe bags for hanging hams).
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

I'm going to yield to the ham guys but don't use both Prague powder and Morton's TenderQuick.

Quarlow

Yeah I know, it's one or the other. But I was out there so I got both. I want to make CBB also and I am going to start making sausages too. My brother sprung for a grinder and a stuffer so he and I are going to get in to it. I picked them up today.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Oh yeah I am hoping to do this ham in a wet brine.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

Wet brine for a ham.....ring 10.5's doorbell.  He's got that down pat.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

Using the butt and/or shoulder is technically not considered making ham. The ham is from the (rear) leg of the pig; but this recipe will work for the shoulder. Keep in mind that the shoulder area is much tougher then the leg (rear section of the pig).

Here is how I cure and smoke my hams:
Smoked Cured Ham

If you can get hold of some Maple Ham Cure by Sausage Makers you can't beat it for flavor. It the only commercial premix cure that I still use, but the recipe is just as good using the ingredients listed. Hanging is optional. I find that it works just as well laying directly on the rack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I'd make pulled pork from that shoulder and get a fresh ham to cure.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

Around here a lot of the stores make picnic hams and they're made from the front shoulder.   They're not to bad.   

Quarlow

Ok I will make pulled pork with it. Just that when I bought this piece of meat 3 or 4 months ago and ask how I would pull it, someone told me I got the wrong thing for pulled pork and that I should make ham out of it. Somebody please make up my mind. :D :D :D This will make the kids happy. They loved the one pulled pork I did. Thanks guys.

OBS
BBQ

RAF128

You can't go wrong with pulled pork.   Everyone likes it here.   
I'd like to do a ham someday but haven't got up enough nerve yet.   

FLBentRider

Quote from: Quarlow on May 11, 2010, 07:21:17 AM
Ok I will make pulled pork with it. Just that when I bought this piece of meat 3 or 4 months ago and ask how I would pull it, someone told me I got the wrong thing for pulled pork and that I should make ham out of it. Somebody please make up my mind. :D :D :D This will make the kids happy. They loved the one pulled pork I did. Thanks guys.

When you said "butt portion" I think pulled pork. Or ham with a lot of connective tissue.

The "picnic portion" shoulder and / or the Ham (rear leg) has larger muscle groups and less connective tissue, IMHO better for curing into ham.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

I really wish that they would standardize the names of meat cuts. Cause I really have no bleeping idea what is what anymore. Someone says get this and another guys says get that and then I go to the store and the flippin' canuck cutters call it something else. Not to mention you go to 2 different stores and the same cut is called different names.  You got pork BUTT and boston BUTT and leg of pork(BUTT portion) and shoulder which apperently comes from the BUTT. I know this has been done to death BUTT when someone says this and someone says that then noo one knows which ass gets cook. :D :D :D

OBS
BBQ

FLBentRider

We can't even agree on standards of measurements.

I feel for you with the meat thing, Quarlow.

Do they have a "meat map" on the wall at the store?

I think sometimes the supermarkets change the names for some kind of a subtle "bait and switch" instilling FUD in the consumers.

FUD= Fear, Uncertaintly, Doubt

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

We've gotten a taste of that locally with the elusive sirloin 'trip-tip'..

Butchers take a sirloin tip roast, cut it in a triangle shape, and sell it for upwards of 7 bucks a pound.   >:(