• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Total nubie. Starter recipie

Started by Osibisa, May 25, 2005, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osibisa

Hi Guys/gals. Spotted the BS the other day and thought to myself they look pretty good. Went out today and ordered one. It's being delivered tomorrow. Ordered the original and a load of different fuel. Tell you what! They are about as rare as rocking horse sh*T over here. Everybody advertises them but very few have them in stock including Bradleys UK importer..
Anyway, as the bank holiday weekend is coming up, has anybody got any ideas for a "New Starter" recipie please.
(I thought the BS would be ideal for cooking food that suits the "Atkins Diet" that I am on at the moment)

Osibisa. UK

BigSmoker

I think most folks will agree a whole chicken or a Boston butt would be a great starter.  The chicken will take about 5 hrs at 250f and the Boston butt will take 12-18 hrs depending on size.  Check this link for a first smoke. Click Here

Check this link for some other recipes.  This site has been put together by several members of the forum.  
Old's Place

Any other questions ask away[:D].
Welcome to the forum[;)]  

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Osibisa

Many thanks BigSmoker. A couple of chickens it will be then. Many thanks for the prompt reply. I will let you know how I get on..

Peter
P.S. [?]And a Boston butt is[?]. (told you I was a nubie!!)

Oldman

Osibisa,
First welcome to the forums. This is great place to kick back, pull up a chair and chew the fat as you throw down a cold one.

Next most of us never hot smoke more than 4 hours worth of pucks. Some feel that once the meat reaches 140F - 60C that the meat will stop accepting the smoke flavor. After your four hours just continue the cook in the Bradley.

Next never ever open the door. I would open the open at the end of 4 hours to change out the water bowl when smokin' longer cooking items.

Below is a great "easy" little chicken recipe from one of our members "mws." While I don't normally brine anything I can say I did this and the chicken was just outstanding. I believe the picture here is worth just looking at this recipe:

<b><font color="red">Smoked Chicken, From mws
</font id="red"></b> Give it a try~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Osibisa</i>
<br />[?]And a Boston butt is[?]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
John Kerry, Ted Kennedy?![;)][:D][:D]

Pork shoulder, upper cut, not the shank. A wonderful cut when smoked to perfection![:p][:p]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Osibisa</i>
<br />[?]And a Boston butt is[?]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
John Kerry, Ted Kennedy?![;)][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You forgot Mitt (The Chameleon) Romney for some strange reason  [;)][:D][;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Peter! Don't be a stranger--we're always happy to add to our international contingent

You're absolutely right about smoking food being an excellent way to help stay on the Atkins diet, since a lot of the fat is rendered and replaced with moisture during the cooking process.  Though I hate to say it, you may want to go slow on the common practice of adding a layer of bacon on the top rack to drip down on everything.  I know Atkins doesn't mind fat in the diet, but that's one of the things about his diet that almost every reasonable scientist/nutirtionist/physician agrees on.  On the other hand, while the bacon does add something, most foods still taste fantastic even when the bacon is omitted.

Not that I'm trying to butt in, but have you looked into the South Beach Diet?  It takes a lot of the really good stuff that Atkins figured out and adds a touch of metabolic reality that makes it much easier on your kidneys and safer in general than Atkins.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Osibisa

Well! We're off! Recieved it, seasoned it, and got a chicken in it. All I gotta do now is wait,wait,wait hmmmm.
Thinks! "Bradley Webcam..."
Na, too much smoke, wouldn't see anything!![:D]

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Osibisa</i>
<br />.......... Thinks! "Bradley Webcam..."
Na, too much smoke, wouldn't see anything!![:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">LOL[:D][:D]Welcome.....you will fit in  great around here.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

jaeger

Welcome to the forum Peter!
Let us know how you like your new Smoker.
How did the yard bird turn out?

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Osibisa

Well!! Good news and bad news. I decided to just cook the chicken, nothing fancy, no dressing just smoke and heat as it was my first attempt. After 4 hours and a core temperature of 168 I pulled the chicken out of the BS.
Flesh was wonderful and juicy but very very smokey. I have read the postings and saw one regarding "Burnt Bonfire taste". It was a bit like that. Perhaps need less smoke for my delicate pallete and must ensure water is kept filled. Skin was almost inedable due to intense smoke taste and texture was a bit leathery. I did have the vent half open throughout. The other thing I have discovered, (My excuse is I am a Nubie) I should not have used Mesquite for a chicken..OOPPSS!
Anyway wether they ate it because they were hungry or because they thought they ought to it's all gone and only the bones and skin are left.
I documented the whole cook in a little book so I can look back and see what the problems were.... Nowww! what next!! Some ribs I reckon...Of to the Butchers we go.
I will put a picture up as soon as I figure out how to...
Peter.
[^]

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I will put a picture up as soon as I figure out how to...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<b>How To Post Pictures Here</b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Osibisa

AS promised |First attemp Picture

Oldman

That is a big breasted hen... looks like a roaster more than any frier.

Next time do an extra chicken. Allow it to dwell in you frig for a day or so then pull the meat. Chop it up fine and add some it to your egg salad for sandwiches. After you add it wait a day and the flavor will mel with the egg salad.

If you like egg salad sandwiches you are going to love this.  Or you can take some of the chopped chicken and mix in some Mayo, a little mustard--yellow and dry. Add a little sweet pickel, onion and celery. Allow it to dwell for a day and then add it as a topping to a cucumber sandwich. (Of course salt and pepper to your taste.) Serve with Fried Sliced Dill Pickles!

There is so much you can do with your smoker that the ideas never end~~! [^]

Olds

jaeger

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I documented the whole cook in a little book so I can look back and see what the problems were.... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good idea Peter!
It's simple enough, but to actually do this will save you a lot guess work later when you go back to something that you haven't done for a while.
Check this dudes website out:http://www.lamaine.com/bbq/index.html

Smoke On!!![:D][8D][:)]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">