My 1st jerky done, alder was used ending up with a lost cherry...

Started by chiroken, May 14, 2010, 08:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

I wish I had a scale to weigh how much jerky I have when it's done. My 6 lbs ends up as how much I wonder? I saw in the store yesterday your typical pack of commercial jerky for $6/80g bag. My roast was $3.40/lb. Crazy!  :o
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Quarlow

You can't think about what you start with and what you end up with cause the commercial guys lose the same amount. You just have to think about the price you pay for theirs and how little yours cost to make. Yeah it is fun to see what it weighs before and after. I bought a digital scale from London Drugs for $20 or so. It is a "Salter Microtronic kitchen scale" model 2001. It is good to 5lbs and has a ten year guarantee. It works good enough for what I need.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

Nice looking jerky there.

I gave up keeping tract of how much of this and that i do.

chiroken

When you're a member extraordinaire you don't need to keep track of this and that. Us Newbies need to do that so we have some sort of idea of what we're doing!!!  ;)

I'd like to know my finished weight not to know how much water/weight is lost, but just to get an idea of what it actually costs to make compared to commercial. I recently bought a bit of turkey jerky from a local butcher shop and it was $66/kg. I nearly fainted! But boy, was it unbelievably awesome!! They used a Stuffer's recipe, not sure which one though...
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

FLBentRider

I think the loss is like 4 or 5 to one. Four pounds raw = 1lb jerky.

I keep trying to do the calculations, but snackers keep getting in the way.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

I believe FLB is right - meat has about 65% - 75% water in it, so when you dehydrate it you're removing close to that amount.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

I couldn't take it anymore. I gave my wife a call while she was at the grocery store and asked her to pick up a bottom round roast. it is now sliced and in the fridge marinating, waiting to become jerky tomorrow after I get home from work.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 29, 2010, 02:26:15 PM
I couldn't take it anymore. I gave my wife a call while she was at the grocery store and asked her to pick up a bottom round roast. it is now sliced and in the fridge marinating, waiting to become jerky tomorrow after I get home from work.

GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLl!!!!!!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!