Pastrami questions?

Started by Quarlow, May 16, 2010, 01:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

Quote from: Quarlow on May 17, 2010, 04:12:29 PM
Thanks UIS, thats the one I want then.
You probably already know this, but make sure that when you are cleaning the probes on the ET 73
that you do not submerse them in water....
it will trash them.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quarlow

Yup thanks, I have been real careful with the cheapos I have also.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

OMG this pastrami is so awesome. I was pretty sceptical about the turn out on this, what with the amount of time it took to cook. I was relying on the door thermo for cab temp but I think it must have been reading way high. I kept it to 225f through the whole smoke and with an OBS that takes some finesse. I only reached a IT of 151f after 10 hrs. It was getting late so I pulled it out, FTC'ed it for 2 hrs and stuck it in the fridge worrying that it had not cooked to a high enough temp and it had stayed in the 140f zone way to long. I chatted with CRG that night about it and his suggestion was to steam it to 160f and when cool slice it up. I was still leery but I should have listened to CRG(dad) on this. He then said if I was going to be such a jerk and not listen to "HE WHO KNOWS A FRIK MORE THAN YOU" I should PM Habs and get the final say on it. So that is what I did. Habs said because it was already cure as conred beef it would be perfectly fine and that steaming it would tenderize it nicely. Well I got anxious today and couldn't wait for it to steam so it went under the knife.... I mean slicer. I could not slice it super thin as Habs suggested as this "CHEAP PIECE OF CRAP" slicer I have wouldn't slice it real thin. But I did the best I could. With a 3 lb corned beef, I ended up with 22 ounces of the best tasting pastrami I have ever eaten. I have pic's but this "OLD PIECE OF CRAP 3 TIME HAND ME DOWN COMPUTER" I have, the USB ports have quit working so I can't plug my memory card in. So as soon as my daughter shows her face from here dungeon of a bedroom that I can't get her out of, I will get her to upload my pic's to photobucket. Seriously you guys and gals need to make this Pastrami. Thanks CRG, HABs and UIS for all the help. You and a whole bunch of others are what makes these recipes and this forum work.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Good deal!   I thought I ruined mine the last time (same 10+ hour ordeal), but after a night in the fridge and a ride on a commercial slicer at work, it was out of this world.

FLBentRider

Congrats on your pastrami, Q!

Now you won't be able to eat that store-bought stuff, and you know why I do three flats at a time when I do pastrami.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Thanks guys and most definitely will do one heck of a bigger piece, cause when my brothers get a taste of this, well I know they are going to take turns holding me down while the other one eats. Next time I won't tell them I am making it.

OBS
BBQ

OU812

Good to here your Pastrami turned out "awesome" kinda scary the first time, seein it shrivel up to almost nothin.

I now do Pastrami outta top or bottom round and cure it, then carry on where you started.

Did your daughter climb out from here dungeon yet?  ;D

classicrockgriller

Q, Glad it worked out and you are Happy and Safe.

Did I really say that to my Son? ;D

Habanero Smoker

Glad to hear your pastrami was a success.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

Glad that things turned out well for you Q.
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quarlow

Yup pics are coming. It will take a bit but here they come.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Ok here it is folks. Prepare to drool.
Here it is with the rub on.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Having technical difficulty. hang on it's coming

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Here's another.

Mmmm slicing.

All sliced.

Four 5 1/2oz bags out of 3 lbs at start. DOH should have made 10 lbs.

Berlinger Rye bread, Homemade Pastrami, Swiss cheese and
Edmond Fallot Seed style mustard. Stick it in the toaster oven to melt the cheese.

And the the best for last. Eye can see you. :D :D :D

And that is the reward for all the work. I will definitely be making this soon. Only and a grander scale.

OBS
BBQ

Up In Smoke

Nice work Q, very nice work!
2 Bradley OBS