Smoked meatloaf

Started by dribron, May 15, 2010, 05:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dribron

I have been thinking of dpoing a smoked meatloaf, but never have before. So what I was thinking was to smoke for 2-3 hours @ 220-230 over hickory or oak, then pull, foil and finnish in the over at around 350. The last 20-30 mins I will remove the foil, and top with a littel bbq sauce.
Just wanted to see if I was on the right track.. Thanks as always!

pensrock

Do a search for 'Ain't your mamas meatloaf' on this site. Its very good and will tell you how long to smoke and cook.

jwmills

There is a good recipe from Americas Test Kitchen where they use gelatin in the meat mix. I have made it several times only on the BBQ once but very good and juicy.

BuyLowSellHigh

Meatloaf is another family favorite around here - it's what the Mom unit (aka wife) wanted for Mother's Day.  Out of all the things and restaurant possibilities, she chose meatloaf at home. I've never smoked a meatloaf, and I probably won't as I make mine in a loaf pan and I'm not interested in smoking my pans.  But my meatloaf is about 35-40%  smoked sausage - the usual smoked or Kielbasa type, or more often smoked Andouille.  The smokiness the sausage brings is a wonderful addition.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

squirtthecat

I've done a bunch of turkey meatloaf on both my Bradley and my Traeger.  I mix it all up and chill for a couple hours, then form a somewhat flat/oval loaf (cooks more evenly) and put on a couple Frogmats.   No pans necessary.

classicrockgriller

If you have a What-a-burger in your area and you use ketsup in your meatloaf, save you extra packs

of catsup (or ask for more ;D) and try that. WOW!

Something about What-a-burger catsup. It is the only one I like.

KyNola

dribron,
Try throwing in some of your favorite rub and about a shotglass full of your favorite BBQ sauce in your meat mix too.

Ya'll are making me hungry for some smoked meatloaf!  Jan is getting ready to go to the grocery store as I speak.  Guess what I just told her to get!  Smoked meatloaf at my house today MAK style!

Thanks for the inspiration dribron!

squirtthecat

Or put a few glugs of Carolina Treet in the mix...  Oh yeah!

Gizmo

Quote from: KyNola on May 16, 2010, 08:22:11 AM
dribron,
Try throwing in some ... and about a shotglass full of ... meat mix too.

I thought you had something really good going here KyNola but was expecting Makers, or Hennesy.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/