Amount of liquid when curing bacon

Started by Rich_91360, May 25, 2010, 07:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

used the salt box drege method on three pieces of fresh pork belly skin off each weighing approzimately 3.5 pounds.  per recipe used 1/4 cup basic cure per piece.  Placed in ziplock bag on freidge at 37 degrees.  Has been three full days and very little liquid.  Recipe had stated that meat needs to remain in contact with liquid - made it sound like there would be a noticeable amount?  what should i be looking for?  meat still soft - how 'hard' should it be to the touch after several days of curing?

ArnieM

Not sure what your "basic cure" is composed of.

Flip the meat once or twice per day.  For 3.5 pound hunks, I'd go for seven days.  If it still doesn't feel firm to the touch, another day or two.

37 is a bit on the cool side so the curing might take a little longer.

As far as liquid goes, it depends on how much moisture is in there to start with.  I usually get enough to coat the meat but it isn't swimming in there.

Let us know how you make out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Rich_91360

Basic cure was 450 grams of kosher salt (1 LB) , 425 grams of dextrose (13 ounces), and 75 grams of cure#1

ArnieM

Looks like you got the cure recipe from Charcuterie.  Ruhlman recommends 7 days.  Just be patient.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Slamdunk

I was also surprised at the lack of liquid when I did my first bacon, there was some, but not that much. So I just made sure to rotate the meat every day, rubbing in the liquid and it turned out great. Good luck, cause there is no bacon better than what you make yourself!!