Pulled Pork Reheat?

Started by Timo, May 27, 2010, 06:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timo

I have made three different Pork Shoulders over the past 2-3 weeks.  I made a great rub that I got on the forum here and they turned out great with some hickory smoke.  I shredded and then vacuum packed and froze with the food saver.  These are for my son's graduation party next Saturday June 5Th. 

My question is how do I reheat them, and/or serve them?  When I shredded the pulled pork, it was incredible tasting, but didn't have much juice.  I want the pulled pork to be juicy and last during the our 4 hr grad party for our guests....

Any help would be appreciated on how to reheat, make juice, and presentation.....

I appreciate the help!! Happy Smoking this weekend and remember our troops!

shoresdiver

I'm no expert, only recently having acquired my OBS, and having only put 4 shoulders through it to date (and therefore bow to the other members who have lived this for years)  But -

I have had good luck foil wrapping the pulled pork, adding some apple juice (about 1/4 inch in the bottom of the foil 'boat'), and putting it in a 350 F oven to reheat.  I think I have also read posts that suggested using a slow cooker.

Good luck, and congrats to your son on graduating!

seajams

I usually use the slow cooker and add my BBQ sauce at this point.  Mix will and it will heat up fine.  I then add more sauce to taste when putting on the bun.  The sauce adds more flavor than just using water or apple juice.

shoresdiver

I agree with Seajams -- sauce is a better way to go.  I have to accommodate several people with taste buds which cant take the spicy sauce that I like, hence the juice, so everyone gets the sauce they like. ;D ;D

Tenpoint5

Crock pot on low with a splash of Apple juice or in an electric roaster set at about 150-200ยบ with a splash of AJ should get it warmed up for you just make sure you "Fluff" it up with some bear claws or serving forks so it isn't all compressed in clumps before you serve.

Seajams I only ask this. Why did you go through all the time, love and patience applying the rub and the smoke to cover all those wonderful flavors up with BBQ sauce? That should be served on the side. Not saying your wrong in what your doing just seems counter productive in my eyes.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I generally add vaunted vinegar sauce as an additional flavoring, and serve other sauces on the side.

I reheat large amounts of pulled pork similar to how shoresdiver does his. I put mine in a disposable pan, add low sodium chicken broth for moisture, and tightly seal. During the reheating I may stir the meat up once. Then transfer to a crock pot or other types of food warmers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ExpatCanadian

I vac seal my leftovers and tend to add whatever "juice" I'm going to use directly to the Foodsaver bag when I'm packaging it up for the freezer.  It takes some timing to make sure the moisture doesn't get sucked into the vac sealer.  To reheat I simply boil-in-the-bag....  no mess no fuss....  no further loss of moisture!