Cheese and ham rollups

Started by Northern_Smoke, May 27, 2010, 07:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Well, this is something i came up with about 10 years ago. I am sure others have done it as well but i had no help when i brainstormed on this one and now the kids just love it(almost as much as i do) haha. I make a batch of quick white bread in the bread machine but don't let it cook. Roll it out like you would if you were making cinnamon buns but instead of a sweet filling, i put sliced ham and grated cheddar cheese. I found the best ham to use and it may sound funny is that processed stuff you get that is packed in a square kind of plastic and has rounded corners...kind of wish i would have taken a pic. I learned that using fresh ham dried out way too fast for the baking time. Anyways, you put the ham down and then the cheese and simply roll up and cut like a cinnamon buns. Bake at 350 till golden brown and then eat and repeat :D. Sometimes if i make them with a different cheese that might melt out, i put them into greased muffin tins and then the cheese has no where to go but into my tummy haha.

And while i am at it, anyone know how to get that burned golden color off the pans? I can scrub them back to an aluminum color but as soon as i put Pam cooking spray on them and then put them in the oven, they turn that color??? Is it just me?
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Tenpoint5

Dem be looking mighty good NS.
As for the seasoning in the pans. I would let it go if it is creating a nonstick surface.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Northern_Smoke

Well it is working well as a non stick surface but just looks kind of dirty haha. Takes away from the picture and the presentation. Oh well. I did try 2 of these just to make sure they were good and i think they were some of the best ones i have made in a long time. I might have to even break out some of my smoked cheese that i was hoping to save for the summer when the temps get too hot to cold smoke. I wonder if the kids would even notice the smoked cheese....probably not so might has well save it for a more grown up pallet LOL.

hal4uk

If the pan works.. just roll with it...

For presentation, just remove one from the pan, place it on the hood of your ferrari, and get a couple of Hooter's gals to lean in real close. [SNAP].
TIP: If they lean in close enough, an AMC Pacer hood will also work.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

Nice idea. They would be great appetizers. If someone was in a hurry, do you think the refrigerated crescent rolls would be a good dough substitute.

Parchment paper will cut down on a lot of your cleaning. Or lining the pans with aluminum foil will work better, but the bottoms may not brown as well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Northern_Smoke

hal4uk, i am glad you brought up the ferrari hood and a good substitue cause what i have is closer to the amc pacer haha. And Habs, i have never tried it but i bet that would make for some really speedy eats. Its funny you would mention crescent rolls because my wife makes a sort of pizza??? with it. She rolls it out, puts sliced mushrooms on it, sprinkles italian seasoning on it and tops it with parm cheese and bakes and it is delicious as well.

Sorce

I'm sure they are tasty. My dad does something similar although he puts the ham and cheese in the middle of a roll. He rolls the dough out, uses a cutter to cut it in a circle, puts the ham and cheese in the middle and then rolls it inside and bakes them like regular rolls.

TestRocket

You guys are making me hungry!  ;D