Shrimp cocktail for dinner

Started by TestRocket, June 05, 2010, 06:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

Miss Jan and I went to my company's summer picnic today and after a fun day in the sun and eating company provided hamburgers and hotdogs, all the sides and non alcohol (sigh) beverages we decided to go with a light dinner. A shrimp cocktail with fresh French bread was our choice. I make my own cocktail sauce and have for years. So before you ask here are the five ingredients and I don't measure. I'll list them from most to least in quantity, adjust to taste: ketchup, Worcestershire, hot sauce, horseradish (the coarse not creamy type) and lemon juice. It's a killer with shrimp or oysters on the half shell.

A couple of PICS:

My plate:

Table for two:

KevinG

I think I'd opt for the full cocktail instead of the shrimp - especially since you didn't have any at the picnic and I'm not a shrimp guy.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

Looks good!   Love them shrimpies...

DarqMan

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

Nice Plating! Bet Miss Jan loved it.

And tonite you'll be .... Rocket Man! ;D

pensrock

Whats that green stuff on the plate? Its taking up room for more shrimp.  ;D
Looks great.  :)

TestRocket

The green stuff I'm told is presentation and can be beneficial not only in food but in life somehow? I think it's a way to trick someone into believing something isn't as bad as it appears to be? Kind of like the way I get by each day!

CRG if I'm lucky!  ;)

Oldman

Quote from: TestRocket on June 05, 2010, 06:40:55 PM
Miss Jan and I went to my company's summer picnic today and after a fun day in the sun and eating company provided hamburgers and hotdogs, all the sides and non alcohol (sigh) beverages we decided to go with a light dinner. A shrimp cocktail with fresh French bread was our choice. I make my own cocktail sauce and have for years. So before you ask here are the five ingredients and I don't measure. I'll list them from most to least in quantity, adjust to taste: ketchup, Worcestershire, hot sauce, horseradish (the coarse not creamy type) and lemon juice. It's a killer with shrimp or oysters on the half shell.
What I have in mine that is not in your list is Chili Sauce (I like Heinz). I mix it 50-50 Chili - Ketchup.  As for horseradish I use raw root. Hot sauce that I use is the Louisian type (Crystal is a good brand.)

As  TestRocket's posting suggest, I agree that once you find the balance of the items you will ask yourself why in God's green Earth did you ever purchase from a store a pre-made cocktail sauce.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

hal4uk

TestRocket --- Them shrimpies look awsome (and dangit! I'm HUNGRY)...
But, I'm gonna share my cocktail sauce recipe with ya...
(closer to Oldman's)

BASE:
HEINZ Chili Sauce (don't substitute)
Pure Horseradish.

ADD:
Lea & Perrins
Tabasco
Lemon Juice.

I don't measure either --- it's all to taste.
Don't add nuthin' else.
NO KETCHUP.  NOT A DROP.
Try it.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Way to go Test, here I sit I haven't since last night, I am hungry as a moose, can't bear to put anything in my mouth and you post that. That is just mean.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Gizmo

Try Moorehouse Atomic Horseradish.  It makes the best cocktail sauce.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/