• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

It was an interesting weekend

Started by ArnieM, June 07, 2010, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I have a post up for part of it.  Overnight butt from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning while entertaining the Brits.

Friday night the wife's GF Julie was helping her friend Laurie cook up stuff for a baby shower on Saturday (50-60 people).  Laurie is the manager at a local breakfast and lunch restaurant (King's if you're local). 

The restaurant itself was closed at the time.  This is the first time I worked in a real restaurant kitchen.  We did many trays of chicken, sausage and peppers, salads, etc.

A couple of people suggested that I should open a restaurant because I cook pretty well.  After working there for a few hours - I-don't-think-so!  This was WORK!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Amen to that brother. My best bud use to work in a resturant. Once a week he would have to do the graveyard shift to prep and bake. So I would go and help him. Now he was the only one there and we would bust our asses to get everything done for morning shift and we would just make it and I didn't know what I was doing. All the others that had to do it there would be 2 employees and they knew what they were doing but they never got finish till about 1 1/2 hrs after morning shift started. And you are right it is alot of work. They told him he was going to be doing it 5 days a week so he told them were to go and quit.  :P
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

My wife has wanted to open a restaurant for years.

My mom and a bunch of family members have suggested it also.

Every time she brings it up I say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I've got people wanting me to open a sausage shop,,, NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I cook for fun NOT for work, worked in a kitchen as a kid,,, never again.

Quarlow

I wouldn't mind opening a BBQ joint here, but I know what it takes to do so, so forget it. Plus I costs huge amounts of cash to do so.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

TestRocket

I'm with you guys. Once it's a job the fun is gone!

ArnieM

Well like I said it was interesting.

Their main business is done on Saturday and Sunday - breakfast, brunch and lunch.  Laurie said there's 3-4 cooks in the kitchen and at least 4 waitresses coming and going.

The kitchen is incredibly small.  Four of us tripping over each other.  It was hot and the grills weren't even on.

I consider it a learning experience and it was kinda fun.  Wouldn't want to do it for a living though.

Set the PID, put the butt on and go to bed.   ;D
-- Arnie

DTAggie

I slaved in McDonald's and KFC as a kid, can't even eat either now much less think of opening a restaurant.

StickyDan

Quote from: Quarlow on June 07, 2010, 12:33:06 PM
I wouldn't mind opening a BBQ joint here, but I know what it takes to do so, so forget it. Plus I costs huge amounts of cash to do so.

Awwww, common Q.  You know we need a great BBQ joint around here!!!  I'll even help - help eat the ribs.

RossP

Quote from: StickyDan on June 09, 2010, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on June 07, 2010, 12:33:06 PM

Awwww, common Q.  You know we need a great BBQ joint around here!!!  I'll even help - help eat the ribs.

I will help too, you can do it Q.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

ArnieM

Hey cousin Q, are there any decent Q joints up there?
-- Arnie

Quarlow

Not really. I guess the closest thing to it is " Montana's" but it is not just a straight BBQ joint it is a full blown resturant. I was thinking more along the lines of slow cooked fast food. Yeah I am going take a pass on this. I am on the wynd down to semi retirement. I certainly ain't going to marry a resturant.

OBS
BBQ

BuyLowSellHigh

Restaurant thing - been there, done it.  Yes, it is a lot of grunt work and can get quite nasty. But it can be a lot of fun too. The hardest part is not getting creative when you're cranking out menu item X for the 1,234th time, this year. The second hardest part is actually making money.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

StickyDan

Atta boy Ross!!! We'll have Q slinging ribs in no time. 

RE: Montana's.  Not the best place in the world but they've got these beef ribs that are fit for Fred Flintstone. They're huge and super meaty and the apple butter sauce and bad either.  Where can I find beef ribs that big???

Memphis Blues - Hit or miss but when it's good, it's really good.

Ozarks's Famous BBQ - I haven't been yet.  I've read some reviews that where less than appealing.  Any one else tried this place?

Any other joints worth trying???

StickyDan

Forgot to mention Dix's downtown.  Only been a few times usually before a hockey game.  From what I recall the food is good and the restaurant always smells like delicious smoke. 

Just found this place online. - Boonies Southern Soul.  Anyone tried this place yet?

Sorry, I hope I'm not thread-jacking.  Just trying to find some good BBQ restaurants while I wait for Q to open up his new BBQ palace. 

Quarlow

Sticky, you are going to be one hungry dude if you wait for that to happen.

OBS
BBQ