Butts Times 2

Started by oakville smoker, June 16, 2010, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I have a big mouth, sometimes to good for my own good
My golf buddy invitd us to a BBQ Sat and we graciously accepted
I said, no worries I will throw a couple of butts in the DBS Friday night and dinner can be pulled pork
He is even paying for the butts to boot

So I pulled 2 butts out of the freezer last and de frosted them
Just made up a brine of water, white wine, kosher salt, onion, pepper, honey and heaved them in for the night
I will pull them out tomorrow night, make a creole butter and inject and rub and let them sit again overnight all wrapped up
Friday night they will hit the DBS for an over nighter and hopefully be done when I get home from golf Saturday morning
If not, the will meet the crock pot for a few hours for finishing

I want them done sooner than later. Worst case I will FTC them for a few hours Sat until its time to head to BBQ land

Of course I also volunteered to make 2 sauces, a Memphis and Carolina. 
I think I will crank some slaw on the slicer for a butt topping and of course make the dressing

Wish me luck.  got 20 people to feed
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

classicrockgriller

Sailor

So how does this work?  Your buddy invites you to the the Q and you end up doing all the cooking?  Sounds like a plan to me.   ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

oakville smoker

Makes you wonder does'nt it ?
I figured it was boxed and frozen burgers and hot dogs or I had to take matters into myown hands.t
At least I know we will eat well
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

StickyDan

I like your attitude OS. You're invited to my next BBQ for sure!!!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: StickyDan on June 16, 2010, 05:02:32 PM
I like your attitude OS. You're invited to my next BBQ for sure!!!

Yea! Bring food, smoker, and Lots's of Liquor. I like left overs. ;D

DTAggie

Sounds like OS needs to make it to the Texas Smokeout!

oakville smoker

Texas smoke out,
yeah, I am in.  If I leave now I could get there by July ....   LOL
Cannot even make Nepas

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming

MechMedic130

Man that sounds good. I'm doing 2 butts myself this weekend for my daughters first birthday party, mind sharing any tips on brining the pork? I'm still kind of a novice at this stuff.

oakville smoker

I brined some butts before
I think 24 hours is enough
I put the butts in a clean container, add 18 quarts of water, to that I add 1.5 cups of kosher salt, the whatever spice and stuff I have around or get the urge to put in there.  This one:

garlic
onion
pepper corns
ground pepper
splash of white wine  ( contemplated some orange juice but we were all out )
a big glob of honey

I added a layer of ice to keep everyting nice and cool

Tonight, pull from brine, soak for an hour in some clean water, make a creole butter, inject the butts with the creole butter, wrap tight, back in the fridge till tomorrow night and then into the smoker.

Hope that helps.  The brining is really worth the effort