• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Leftovers

Started by DarqMan, June 08, 2010, 06:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

I'm paranoid and never let leftovers go longer than 3 days.  I'm concious to always keep track of how long something has been in my fridge and if I can't eat it by the 4th day I throw it out... better safe than sorry is my moto.  However, since smoke is a natural preservative, would it be safe to allow things like smoked brisket, butt or ribs go longer than the three days recommeneded?  If so, what would be the max length it could stay in the fridge and still be safetly eaten? (without freezing of course). 
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Quarlow

Well this is just me and I have never poisoned myself, but I go up to 5 days on leftovers. If it looks like it will go longer than that on the 4th day I will throw it in the freezer. And then when I take it out I will eat it right away. I treat all foods the same, that said chicken only stays as leftovers for 4 days no matter what. I have had a lot of....umm... funny experiences with food storage in my lifetime. As a kid we had a lot of very lean times so we didn't throw anything away. I also spent a lot of time on extended boating on the boat my dad built from scratch which we spent our weekends and one month of the summer on. I also worked on the commercial trollers where we used up the food in order of how fast it would spoil, like the chicken went first hamburger next steaks and roasts last and it all depended on how often we eat fresh caught salmon. So we ate some pretty dicey food and never had any troubles with food poisoning. So I tend to be slightly liberal with leftovers, but I don't think I take any unneccessary chances. I know some of the guys on here will be aghast at this but I figure if I can live threw eating at mcdonalds where 60% of the time I get poisoned I must be doing something right.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DarqMan

Thanks for sharing Q. 

I know some folks who when you go over you have to be very careful about what they're serving because you have no idea how long it's been sitting. I've learned to "smell" before I eat ;D
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

DTAggie

Doesn't vac seal allow longer leftovers in fridge?

Sailor

if it is growing hair....throw it out  ;D  I have stuff that has been cooked up keep for well over a week. Now that it is just my wife and I we do tend to throw stuff out more because I make too much....still cooking for a family of 4.  Chicken is not something I will mess around with.  3 days and it is gone no matter what.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

DTAggie

I'm with you Sailor, chicken no way.  Left over bad thoughts from working at KFC in high school.  Beef, butt I have used at 7 days no problems.

Ka Honu

Leftovers?  What's that?

BuyLowSellHigh

The three day rule will probably keep you safe without having to do much thinking - it's a good safe step that I doubt anyone will argue against.   Smoke probably does help, but it is not in itself a solution,  Smoking as preservation should probably be viewed as part of a process.  Most of the smoke to preserve processes I am familiar with included "curing" either with salt alone or with salt in combination with nitrite.  Part of the curing process is to reduce water and another part is to kill and inhibit spoilage bacteria.

If you want to be more daring than the surefire 3-day rule would allow it helps to understand spoilage mechanisms and some microbiology.  Depending on what the food is I regularly use refrigerated leftovers for up to 7 days.  Properly cooked meats and fowl (including chicken) that were taken to proper temp are no problem so long as good hygiene and sanitation practices were maintained thought the preparation.  That includes not only the heating up period, but holding and then cooling for storage.  Simple guidelines - remember the 40's -- hold hot foods at 140 ° and above and cold foods at 40° or below.  For perishable foods max room temp time is 2 hrs, which goes down to 1 hr at 90° (think about that mayonnaise or salad with mayonnaise now that summer is here).   I give soups and stews or foods with high liquid proportions three days max unless reheated to the boiling point; if you reheat every other day and rapidly cool from holding to storage you can keep soups and stocks for a week. Sauces depend upon pH - highly acidic (low pH) can be kept a long time without problem.

An important point that most folks miss is the sanitation and hygiene part in handling.  You can start with a safe, clean piece of cooked meat and contaminate it easily because of poor sanitation or hygiene.  One of the most common in the restaurant industry is contamination of cooked food products from handling raw chicken.  One case I know well involved a worker who had been cutting raw chicken and in a rush went on the line making tacos without any sanitation break.  About 20 customers ended up in the hospital the next day,  Keeping it clean is a big part of safe prep and preservation.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

Now, let me emphasize that I got my old CB handle Cow Patty Daddy for good reason.  And I do not recommend this to anyone!  And I have a cast iron stomach, even when traveling to a lot of places you don't drink the water.  I think I've eaten too many jalapenos in my life for any "nasties" to live in my gut.  You've heard of acidophilus to help with digestion, well I grew up with japalophilus!!  It is not unusual for me to gnaw on ribs or brisket that were cooked 7 days or more prior.  Of course, I generally don't eat it if it is fuzzy, smells bad, or covered in bright colors!  Momma taught me better than that!  I confess I have eaten potato salad left out overnight with no ill effects - two weeks ago for instance - or decades ago at my grandmothers who had but a tiny ice chest and left most things out.   But to be safe, BLSH has ya covered. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

I'm in the Caney Camp. We go a week sometimes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DarqMan

Wow, some great information here, I appreciate the replies.  I was about to eat some brisket that had gone well past my 3 day rule but it looked and smelled fine.  I threw it out anyway to be safe and then decided to get other opinions.  Thanks again.

classicrockgriller

Throw that 3 day ole brisket my way! ;D

When I was single I use to make the girl leave after three days!

DarqMan

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 09, 2010, 10:01:18 PM
Throw that 3 day ole brisket my way! ;D

My arm isn't quiet that good. 

I may switch over to the no fuzz rule ;D

FLBentRider

I find no scientific basis for the "leftover police" three day rule, even with chicken. It is COOKED after all.

Leftover pulled pork is just getting "happy" at that point.

Like Habs said, proper handling before and after cooking goes a long way.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

I'm with CS and FLBR.  If it's been properly refrigerated, a week wouldn't bother me.  Throwing 3 day old brisket away is a sin.