Mmmm ribs "Not"

Started by Quarlow, June 02, 2010, 01:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Interestingly enough I just did 2 pork butts and I had them on the 3 rack up so right at the level of the door probe. I put one of my temp probes on the rack between the butts and it stayed matched in temp the whole time, so you are right above or below and they are getting way different temps.
Time is a factor for sure. Iam going to do a test the next go round. When I take the ribs out at 3hrs to foil them they seem fairly well along in the cooking process, so I am going to see how done they are at the 3 hr mark. These things maybe nearly done at 3 and are getting over cooked.
Unless it is a warm day I have trouble getting over 210f. On the butts threw the night and up till the sun came around the house I was at 200f max. Not till the sun hit it did the temps start to climb. I have a PID coming from Mikeradio so the second element conv. is next for me, plus a fan.
I never spritzed the ribs just add AJ to the foil wrap but I think I will get a sprayer and try that.
A family of 4 doesn't go to far on one rack of ribs :D :D :D But I will do 2 side by side on 2 racks and put them on 3 and 4 rack where I usually use 2 and 3 rack.
Thanks for the insight and I will get this nailed down. One thing we have decided is that we like our ribs sauced. Sometimes I buy the precooked Maui ribs that you just heat on the BBQ which are surprisingly pretty good and they like those so I will be saucing the ribs from now on.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

You go buddy.

I know YOU will get the ribs the way YOU like them in know time.

ArnieM

Keep practicing cousin.  You'll certainly get it down pat by the time you get to be my age  ;D

I can usually run 220 in the OBS.  I always put my stuff on the upper two racks if possible.  The cabinet temp seems to be a function of the ambient temp, wind, extension cords and outlet.  Of course the meat load and moisture also affects the temp.

I never figured I'd need a PID.  But, set it, forget it, and go to bed was nice doing a butt this weekend.

I've done the ribs both dry and sauced.  I kinda like them dry with sauce on the side.  The rib places around here do them sauced, sometimes pretty heavily.  To each their own.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Yeah I had no problem getting 248f once the sun rose. I have got all the cord issues out of the way, 15 ft 12 ga cord, dedicated outlet. But it was pretty cool here that night and it was looking like rain too. We are way cooler here than even Seattle Wa. since we are up against the mtns and right on the ocean. We have a fairly short growing season that starts late. Basicly the May long weekend is our safe zone for planting so it is still chilly at night. I was still getting frost on the car windows the first week of May.
I have tried the dry ribs and there ok but I am not big on the sweet and sour dry pork you get with Chinese food either.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Michael

I agree that they sure look tasty.  I have just one suggestion.... for your daughter...

Hey bree230, get dad a larger cutting board for Christmas...   ;D