Pastrami Question

Started by josbocc, July 22, 2010, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Hey everyone,

I am using Habs recipe to make beef pastrami.  Just got through doing the dry brine process, and now I'm waiting the obligatory 4 days.  The question that I have is driven by my work schedule.  I'm trying to time my smoke properly, and am looking for some input as to how long it should take to reach the IT of 160-165.  I've got a flat and a point, both of which are about 4.5 lbs.  These are the only items going into the DBS6, and I'm hoping that someone out there can give me an estimated cook time at either 220 degrees, or 250.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

GusRobin

Mine that size and about that temp took 5 hours
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry! I make plenty of pastrami, but I don't monitor the time. I will the next time I make it.

If you are short of time, you can use a two stage cooking method; as I describe in the steam pastrami recipe. Bring it to 150°F internal temperature, and then finish it the next day or 48 hours latter. Or if you have a slicer, and can slice really thing, 150°F is a good temperature to finish with.
Steaming Pastrami

If you don't want to go through the steps of setting up the equipment to steam, you can just finish roasting the pastrami in an oven at 225°F - 250°F in a roasting pan without water, but a rack is recommended. Just make sure that it is tightly covered.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

josbocc

Thanks for the feedback.  Not sure if I'm quite ready to graduate to the steaming method yet..., but we'll see what my schedule brings for next Tuesday or Wednesday.  I've done pastrami in the past and seem to recall that it took longer than 5 hours to  reach an IT of 165, but if I remember correctly, the temps outside were probably not more than 20 - 30 degrees F.

Will try to post pics of the finished product.

Thanks Again,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Habanero Smoker

Steaming is very simple to do; but as I also mentioned, you can just move it to the kitchen oven, cover it tightly and continue to cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)