My Kind of Birthday Cake

Started by Caribou, June 15, 2010, 06:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

Happy Birthday, Carolyn!
You know.. I have a birthday coming up.. (well.. eventually...) so, like, if you're still in the baking mood...   ::)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Caribou

Thanks Hal4uk!
I just edited my original post so it now contains the recipe so you can make one, too ;)
Too tell you the truth, I'm not much of a baker either :D
Carolyn

ArnieM

Thanks for the recipe Carolyn.  The cheesecake looks gorgeous.

My wife's girlfriend, Julie, specializes in deserts.  She has made some presentation-type cheesecakes. 

I figure if I print out your recipe, in color, and leave it on the kitchen table, maybe the next time she comes over she'll say "What's this?"

Wish me luck.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caribou

You're welcome Arnie :)
It's a good, fool-proof recipe, too.
You can add anything to the top like jam or melted chocolate, etc.
Good luck with your plan ;)
Carolyn

Caneyscud

Arnie - is Julie the Ceiling Fan Lady?

When I first started making cheesecake, I got all kinds of puffing, cracks, etc....   Turned out, I was overcooking it.  Needs to be just set in the middle.  Plus, I've been adding humidity in the oven (water in a pan) - keeps the cracks away.  Also will cook at a lower temp. for a longer period.  I've heard of overnight cheesecake cooks - so cheesecake may be the low-n-slow of the Pastry world!  Alton does a good job at explaining a cheesecake, but it turns out creamier than I like.  He uses a water bath.  So does Emeril.  His recipe is similar to the one that I use which is supposedly from Lindy's on Time Square.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caribou

Hi Caney,
I think the hour of cooling in the oven with the door ajar also helps to remedy the cracking problem, too.
Since I have used this recipe, I've never had a problem with them cracking while cooling.
Carolyn

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

deb415611

I use a water bath for mine.   I have been using the recipes from Juniors

I'm going to take a look at Carolyn's because it looks so awesome.

Caribou

Hey Deb,
Are there recipes on the site?
That Devils Food Cheesecake is the most sinful looking cheesecake I have ever seen  :D
Carolyn

deb415611

There used to be recipes on the site but it has changed.  I have the cookbook.   Which recipe do you want? 

The Devils Food Cheesecake is sinful.  I had a piece at their restaurant.   That is the cheesecake that was made for the Bobby Flay cheesecake throwdown.

They have a strawberry shortcake cheesecake that is good too,  I made a blueberry version of it a couple years ago. 

Caribou

Ooooo Deb,
That looks so good!
Yes, I remember that throw down episode...I didn't put 2 and 2 together.  :D
I'd love the recipe for the one you did, I have tons of strawberries coming on right now and I could see doing that with the huckleberries too.
Oh, yeah, I wouldn't mind the Devils Food one, too.

On the subject of Bobby Flay's show, I planted a bunch of baking pumpkins this year so I could try fresh pumpkin in my pies, like that gal that was featured in the pumpkin pie throw down.
You tasted her pie, too...lucky Deb!
Carolyn

deb415611

Quote from: Caribou on June 16, 2010, 02:00:37 PM
Ooooo Deb,
That looks so good!
I'd love the recipe for the one you did, I have tons of strawberries coming on right now and I could see doing that with the huckleberries too.

On the subject of Bobby Flay's show, I planted a bunch of baking pumpkins this year so I could try fresh pumpkin in my pies, like that gal that was featured in the pumpkin pie throw down.
Carolyn

remind me Friday & I'll get you the recipes - have to get ready for JB concert tonight - I'm in charge of the food (surprise, surprise :D)

I didn't have the pumpkin pie but her chocolate bourbon pecan pie was out of this world.  I brought home a frozen unbaked beef & cheese pie & that was incredible too.  It's really cool because she does 5" pies in addition to the regular size. 

classicrockgriller

We'll remind you on Friday so you can post the recipe. ;D

Caribou

Quote from: deb415611 on June 16, 2010, 02:14:46 PM
Quote from: Caribou on June 16, 2010, 02:00:37 PM
Ooooo Deb,
That looks so good!

Carolyn

remind me Friday & I'll get you the recipes - have to get ready for JB concert tonight - I'm in charge of the food (surprise, surprise :D)

I didn't have the pumpkin pie but her chocolate bourbon pecan pie was out of this world.  I brought home a frozen unbaked beef & cheese pie & that was incredible too.  It's really cool because she does 5" pies in addition to the regular size. 

Thanks Deb!
Have fun at the concert tonight :)
Carolyn

deb415611

Quote from: Caribou on June 16, 2010, 03:47:34 PM

Have fun at the concert tonight :)
Carolyn

It's tomorrow night,  takes a night to prep - well plus what I did over the weekend  ;D