Father's day chicken experiment

Started by GusRobin, June 20, 2010, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Only cooked chicken once in my OBS and that was after I seasoned it and was autotuning the PID.
Decided to do the following today:
a 5# whole chicken and a 7# whole chicken. Put both in brine last night and this morning both were splatchcocked. On one side of the large one, I have injected CT and will rub CT on the outside. On the other side I plan on injecting with a butter/garlic mix and put CT and Jan's rub on the outside. On the small one, one side will be prepared per http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?35-Smoked-Chicken-From-mws&p=46; the other will have EVOO and a commercial rub (haven't decided which one yet).
I'll post pictures when things get started.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

FLBentRider

Sounds good to me too.

Keep that vent open, probably 1/3 the weight of that poultry is moisture.

The last time I did two chickens it took 4 or 5 hours, IIRC.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

I know you know this, if you want some crisp skin you will have to broil in the oven for a short ride.

Looking forward to the chick pics.

GusRobin

Plan on in the smoker to about 150F IT then in the oven to 160-165. While in the oven, I'll smoke the asparagus.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

DarqMan

Sounds great GR... I'm interested in hearing how the smoke aparagus turns out.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

GusRobin

DarqMan - I have made the asparagus before -it is one of the things that the family likes most. I take asparagus, cut off a bit at the end, put a very light coating of EVOO and sprinkle some garlic powder and cayenne on them. The EVOO coating is very minimal, just enough so that the spices cling to the asparagus. I smoke them between an hour to hour and 1/2 at 225F. Only problem is I never seem to make enough because they are gone as soon as I pull them out.

I was busy doing something and lost track of time. So I couldn't make all the rubs I wanted in time. So I ended up with 1/2 of the big one injected and coated with CT; the other half EVOO and Jan's rub. 1/2 of the small one with a butter/garlic mix spread nder the skin and on top; the other half with a corn oil coating rubbed with a cinnamon,brown sugar, paprika,sea salt, pepper and all spice rub from the recipe site.
Then after about 20 minutes I noticed that the temp wasn't rising very fast (have dual elements) and noticed the cabinet was unplugged. So this smoke is starting kind of hectic. I'll post pictures later, right now I have going to drink some beer and relax.

DarqMan

I will definitely try making those.  I love roasted asparagus so the smoke will add a unique twist.  I'd never thought of it but sounds like it works well.  Thanks for the tips. 

Enjoy your beer ;D
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

TestRocket

Quote from: GusRobin on June 20, 2010, 02:01:43 PM
Then after about 20 minutes I noticed that the temp wasn't rising very fast (have dual elements) and noticed the cabinet was unplugged. So this smoke is starting kind of hectic.

Well at least the fix was easy. I hope it is down hill from here. Good luck and don't forget the PICS.  ;D

squirtthecat

Nice!  Going to try that asparagus this week...