Pork loin smoke time per pound?

Started by kev921hs, June 18, 2010, 08:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev921hs

All -

I have a 5.5 pound boneless pork loin.  I plan to dry rub and smoke until 155 degrees, then foil till over 160.  I've heard 225 degrees is the min temp to keep the smoker at, but hotter might prevent drying.  Your thoughts?  

And the MOST important question - how long would it take at each temp?  Is there any kind of time-per-pound rule of thumb?  I've heard everything from 3-6 hours, and that makes planning dinner difficult.  Father's Day dinner is depending on it, I hope you can help!

-Kevin

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum kev921hs!

Quote from: kev921hs on June 18, 2010, 08:42:25 AM
All -

I have a 5.5 pound boneless pork loin.  I plan to dry rub and smoke until 155 degrees, then foil till over 160.  I've heard 225 degrees is the min temp, but hotter might prevent drying.  Your thoughts? 

And the MOST important question - how long would it take at each temp?  Is there any kind of time-per-pound rule of thumb?  I've heard everything from 3-6 hours, and that makes planning dinner difficult.  Father's Day dinner is depending on it, I hope you can help!

-Kevin

There are not hard time rules, since there are too many variables in the equation.

I would pull it out at 155-157F IT, double wrap in foil, wrap in a old towel, and put in a cooler (no ice) We call that FTC

That will allow you to hold the meat at that temp for at least a couple of hours.

I would plan on it taking about 4 to five hours @225F

So if you want to serve @5pm, start @11AM, use FTC if it's done a little early.

You are talking about a pork loin not a pork tenderloing (much smaller) ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

I haven't done a loin yet, but I know some butts can be tenacious. What I've learned is that barbecues are more of a gathering or social event, not one of we will be eating at 6:00 sharp kinda deals. Take some time and tell some tales and enjoy the event rather than worry about time schedules. Keep some snacks out to appease the growling stomachs.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

kev921hs

FLBentRider - Correct, this is a loin, not a tenderloin.  probably 4-5 inches in diameter and about 2 feet long.  One side has a thin layer of fat; from searching different forums so far I'm planning to leave that on and cook with that side up.  Would you agree?

Also I was planning to cut the loin in half rather than try to wrap it around in the smoker.  My smoker is a propane fired vertical style.  Would cutting it in half affect the cook time at all?  I wouldn't think so but you folks are the experts here :)

squirtthecat

Yep - fat side up.   Cutting it in half won't affect the cook time.
Just keep a close eye on the temperature...    FTC will keep it piping hot for a few hours - so you should be fine.

FLBentRider

Quote from: kev921hs on June 18, 2010, 08:55:42 AM
FLBentRider - Correct, this is a loin, not a tenderloin.  probably 4-5 inches in diameter and about 2 feet long.  One side has a thin layer of fat; from searching different forums so far I'm planning to leave that on and cook with that side up.  Would you agree?

Also I was planning to cut the loin in half rather than try to wrap it around in the smoker.  My smoker is a propane fired vertical style.  Would cutting it in half affect the cook time at all?  I wouldn't think so but you folks are the experts here :)

Yup. fat up.

And you want to get rid of any "silverskin" you see on the outside. That stuff is impossible to chew.

And you're right, cutting in half is not going to change the cooking time significantly.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

kev921hs

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!  Much appreciated :)

ArnieM

Agreed - fat side up.  Keep them as far away as possible from the direct heat.  If on two racks, one will likely be done before the other.

Keep a real close eye on the IT.  Use a probe in each if you have two.  Unlike butt, they can cook pretty quickly.

The whole pork loins I get usually run over 9 pounds.  I cut up about 4 pounds for the roast, a couple of thick chops and the rest for Canadian bacon.

I did the last hunk to an IT of 135-140, let it rest (FTC) about an hour, then cut it into thick chops and finished the chops on the grill.  They came out good.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Smokeville

Quote from: ArnieM on June 18, 2010, 11:39:10 AM
Agreed - fat side up.  Keep them as far away as possible from the direct heat.  If on two racks, one will likely be done before the other.

Keep a real close eye on the IT.  Use a probe in each if you have two.  Unlike butt, they can cook pretty quickly.

The whole pork loins I get usually run over 9 pounds.  I cut up about 4 pounds for the roast, a couple of thick chops and the rest for Canadian bacon.

I did the last hunk to an IT of 135-140, let it rest (FTC) about an hour, then cut it into thick chops and finished the chops on the grill.  They came out good.

Arnie, I've got 66lb of pork to smoke for Canada Day this Thursday July 1. There are 3 full loins cut into sirloin/centre/rib roasts. So I got 9 roasts about 7lb each. After boning them, I should have about 55lb left.

My plan is to smoke them earlier in the week, keep them in the fridge, then slice them as needed on Thursday when people arrive, and finish them on the grill to be put in a bun.

Any thoughts or pitfalls for me to be aware of? For maximum juiciness, what would be the IT to aim for considering there will be a day or so between the smoking and the slicing/grilling?

Also, would brining them in apple juice, etc., be a good idea?

Thanks, Rich

BuyLowSellHigh

My one add is that pork loin is not a very fatty cut - it can dry out easily.  For that reason I consider them done in the 140-145 °F range. Beyond that you're drying it out.  To slice and grill finish I would pull at 140 (you're safe), and then wrap in foil and cool to hold.  When grilling after slicing all you really want to do is heat and add some grill marks - they will already be fully cooked.  You could avoid the bun as it will be a firm chop, may be just better served as a grilled smoked chop.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Smokeville

Thanks BuyLowSellHigh!

My plan is to slice the meat about the same thickness as Canadian peameal bacon and put 2 slices on a bun. Back bacon on a bun is very popular at farmer's markets, etc. But if I could get away from the hamburger buns that would save .20c each. We could have 100 people so it is a consideration.

ArnieM

Rich,

Brining is probably a good idea but you'll need a big tub  :D

A standard brine is one gallon of water, one cup of kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar - I prefer brown sugar.  Scale up as required.  You could also add sage, rosemary, thyme and garlic, depending on your taste.  You could add apple juice or cider in place of some of the water.

The buns are cheap compared to the pork.  Have lots of side dishes; cole slaw, potato and/or mac salad, baked beans, pickles, chips, etc.  That will cut down on the pork consumption some.  Do a 'traditional' pulled pork sammie (but with the slices instead) piled up with cole slaw.  A slice of tomato and/or American cheese on there wouldn't hurt either.

Sounds like you're gonna have a good time.  Post up some pics when it's all over.

-- Arnie

BuyLowSellHigh

For what you're doing I'm pretty much with Arnie, 'cept he would have you spend on the bun the save pork costs then add American cheese which is probably as much as the the pork.  ;D

For a crowd like that the sliced pork sandwich is probably a good idea.  I think your best bet would be to smoke/cook to 140-145 °F, wrap,  cool, and store cold (FTC won't help you much on a loin).  The when ready to press ahead warm the whole loin on a grill to brown up the exterior just a tad and bring it back to 140-150 °F, then slice and stack, sauce on the pork, slaw on top, and you'll have a great sliced pork sandwich!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

You bet your buns Eric  ;D

The cheese adds a little something.  It's kind of like the difference between a hamburger and a cheeseburger.

I got some American cheese at the deli yesterday for $3.99 a pound and there's a lot of slices in there - all stuck together  >:(

One may be able to find some out of date buns for cheap, as long as they're not blue-green and hairy, they'd toast up well.

I know it's a big crowd but I'd go for quality over cheap, even if it costs $20-30 more.  People enjoy and remember and want you (Smokeville) to do it again.  ;D
-- Arnie

Smokeville

You guys are great!

What I would really like to do is go to our local Oakville Italian Bakery and order 100 Portuguese buns. We get them fresh and warm every Sunday...

Actually, I think I just convinced myself. 4 dozen cost $14!!