pucks didn't arrive in time, bb ribs question

Started by Sorce, June 20, 2010, 08:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

Well I ordered some more hickory pucks but they have not arrived in time so time for plan B. I ordered the variety pack and I'm trying to figure out which wood to use on my baby backs. I've got 5 special blend pucks left, 12 alder, 12 maple, 12 cherry. I was planning on using the 2-1-1 method which I've heard is more accurate for baby backs. Just trying to figure out the wood, thought maybe an hour of maple and an hour of special blend or maybe just do the whole time with maple. Any advice here?

love the smoke

If it were me I would use Maple or cherry or a combo of both, Cherry is a med to med strong smoke I think but it goes well with almost anything

LTS
LTS

classicrockgriller

Special Blend has been described as a blend of all the woods.

NePaSmoKer

In a pinch you can always run to wally mart and use chips on the puck burner. I have done this many times, only drawback is you have to swipe the burnt ones off the burner. No Biggie  ;D

Sorce

Think I'm gonna alternate the maple and cherry then.

TestRocket

Sorce

One more question, I'm taking these to my parents house for fathers day. Would the best method be to FTC them after they get past the 2nd step and sauce and finish them on my dad's grill rather than trying to sauce them and then put them back in for one more hour?

FLBentRider

I would FTC before the sauce and finish on the grill, probably won't take an hour though.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Sorce

Thanks FLB, I decided to finish these off in the oven wrapped in foil with a splash of apple juice. Here they are after 2 hours of smoke, probably won't have a picture of the finished product but thanks to this forum and everyone here I'm sure they'll be delicious.

Sorce

Well wound up going with a combo of maple and cherry (1 hour of each). Wrapped in foil with apple juice and into the house oven at 225. They took 2 more hours to pull back, FTC'd them and took them to my parents. Sauced them over there and onto the grill for about 15 minutes just to get the sauce the way I wanted. They were great, I've done ribs in the oven before and basically steamed them and then finished on the grill. These didn't fall off the bone as easy but they didn't stick either. Very tender and delicious. My mom cooked some chicken as well because she doesn't like ribs, she even wound up eating one or two.

Thanks everyone for your experiences and advice. This forum has ensured that my first two adventures with the bradley produced great results.

classicrockgriller

Glad everyone was Happy and you spent quality time with your Family.

Sounds great!

DTAggie