New Smoker Showed up tonight, very, very, very bummed.

Started by waterkc, June 21, 2010, 07:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Yeah you want to put ....I think it said 1 1/2 hrs of smoke to it, you better read those instructions again. That is an awesome oasis you have for sure. When I was about 13 my dad sold our cabin cruiser and put a 20'x40' pool in our backyard. I should say he turned our backyard into a pool, cause there was nothing left for yard at all. It was a blast for sure. Especially the "clothing not an option" partys. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

waterkc

Yeah you run the unit for one hour @ 150 with 5 pucks worth of wood. I choose apple as that is what I had, I ran it for and hour at 150. I also added two fire bricks wrapped in foil in on two separate racks just to help keep the heat even.

I will be smoking two pork loins that have been marinating for almost 3 days. Going to smoke for about 2.5 hours. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

classicrockgriller

yes to wood of your choice, temp no lower than 150* to season for an 1 1/2 hrs to two.

I did mine like a radio, I turned it up.

I hope we didn't talk you into something you are going to be pissed off about.

If the warp in the door is a problem, call Brian at Bradley and talk to him.

He is a great guy and a true friend of the Forum.

Caneyscud

Quote from: DTAggie on June 22, 2010, 08:40:45 PM
Heck in one of those pictures I thought the pool filter was a Bubba Keg or Big Green Egg

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that!  I thought that it was strange shaped Primo.

I've had the DBS4R for a couple of years now.  Smoked a good bit on it and wouldn't trade it!  Haven't put a PID on it - haven't perceived the need yet!

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

waterkc

So I let is smoke for approximately 1.5 hours lastnight, it ran through about 4.5 pucks. I am going to setup to smoke two pork loins that I have been brining for about 4 days now. I will stuff them with apples and wrap them in maple-bacon and then smoke for about 2.5 hours. This is all the wood I have for now. I know it will turn out ok.

I also have a nice big Virginia Ham that I am going to smoke for about 9 hours. Its one that has been cured already, My Dad brought it from Va last time he was out. So I will soak it for a few days, then smoke the junk out of it just not sure with what wood yet. Maybe some Pecan?   ;)

I think I am going to do some Salmon with Alder this weekend also. Sweet and Spicy style, the wife loves it.

The local butcher has a the pork belly coming on Friday, so I will be getting that going also. Going to use the MTQ on it. Then Maple Syrup the hell out of it and let it sit for a few weeks. I will smoke it with Maple.

I will be getting a second heating element, and a fan kit. I added to foil wrapped fire place brick's to help reduce the temp swings and make the recovery time a bit better. That was at the recommendation of CaptainKM. Don't think I will mess with the pid. If I ever did that I would just get another Smoke Generator and mod that one.

Not sure about the warp'd door comment. I think maybe you mean the Digital Display Piece being crooked. I will fix that myself, just seemed kinda odd to me was all.

List if Items I would like to Secure:

• Dual Temp Prob
  • Heating Element
  • Fan Kit
  • Puck Savers
  • Bacon Hanger
  • Ham Hanger
  • Meat Slicer or Knife

Can you Lad's think of anything else I might be missing?

Thanks Again, I will post some picks of things as I go.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

BigJohnT

If your into jerky you might want some jerky racks. I know some folks have had a problem with peeling some time ago but mine get constant use and I don't have any problem with that. I think it was a bad batch that got out. Didn't take me long to get tired of double stacking and dropping racks to invent the extra rack kits that Scott sells  ;D

JT

classicrockgriller

The rail kit is nice, it allows "Flexability" in your placement of food.

Here is a pic of my 6 rk that was turned into a 18 rk.

Quarlow

You know there are other options for a PID than the one you install in you smoke generator. Auber has the plug-and-play models designed for the Bradleys. They come in single probe and dual probe. Go to www.auberins.com and check them out, they are widely use on here. And you can hook them to almost anything, except our wife's, nothing can control there temperatures.  ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

TestRocket

Quote from: Quarlow on June 23, 2010, 10:23:57 AM
And you can hook them to almost anything, except our wife's, nothing can control there temperatures.  ;D ;D
Thanks a lot Quarlow for shooting down my plan. Now what?  ???

hal4uk

Quote from: Quarlow on June 23, 2010, 10:23:57 AM
nothing can control there temperatures.  ;D ;D

"Women.  Can't live with 'em.....  Hey, Woody, pass the beernuts."
                                                              ----Norm

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG