Father's Day Pork Butt

Started by monty, June 21, 2010, 04:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

did up an 8.5lb'er for "Monty Sr." yesterday in celebration of Father's Day ;D

cut was courtesy of The Butchery here in Ottawa - it had a nice layer of fat and was perfectly trimmed. coated with a light layer of yellow mustard, and dusted with a simple rub base of paprika, brown sugar, and a few other spices.

smoked with hickory for 3 hours. total cook time was approx 12 hours to hit ~195F IT.

great bark on this bad boy!

-monty

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

FLBentRider

Monty that looks great.

Great pics.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Congrats on you cook Monty.  Looks really good.  Nice of you to cook it up for Monty Sr.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TestRocket

Very nice looking bark indeed. I'm sure "Monty Sr." enjoyed it as well. Good job!

Caribou

Great job Monty!
You take the best food pics, too. :)
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

That was a beautiful piece of meat, both cooked and uncooked!

Nice job monty and congrats to monty Sr.

RAF128

Quote from: monty on June 21, 2010, 04:12:30 PM
did up an 8.5lb'er for "Monty Sr." yesterday in celebration of Father's Day ;D

cut was courtesy of The Butchery here in Ottawa - it had a nice layer of fat and was perfectly trimmed. coated with a light layer of yellow mustard, and dusted with a simple rub base of paprika, brown sugar, and a few other spices.

smoked with hickory for 3 hours. total cook time was approx 12 hours to hit ~195F IT.

great bark on this bad boy!

-monty

What temp did you do your 8 lber at.   I did a 6 lber and it took 21 hrs at 225

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

DTAggie

monty

thanks everybody  8)

Quote from: Caribou on June 21, 2010, 05:17:44 PM
Great job Monty!
You take the best food pics, too. :)

bold claim here, but i am very flattered  :)
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

monty

Quote from: RAF128 on June 21, 2010, 07:52:42 PM

Hey RAF128 - i did it at 225F and monitored using my Maverick. final IT check was done using my Thermapen. i preheat first, fill the water pan, then load the smoker. i only open once during the entire cook to empty the water pan of dispensed bisquettes and refill the water. note the butt was also the only thing in the cabinet at the time as well.

21 hours seems a little long!
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

RAF128

Quote from: monty on June 23, 2010, 09:26:18 AM
Quote from: RAF128 on June 21, 2010, 07:52:42 PM

Hey RAF128 - i did it at 225F and monitored using my Maverick. final IT check was done using my Thermapen. i preheat first, fill the water pan, then load the smoker. i only open once during the entire cook to empty the water pan of dispensed bisquettes and refill the water. note the butt was also the only thing in the cabinet at the time as well.

21 hours seems a little long!

That's the temp I used and I never opened the door once.   I've done others and they're all that long or close to it.    I've got a 6 rack with a PID.   Temp set at 225 but the actual temp shown on the PID never went much past 210, until near the end.   Four hours of apple smoke.    I don't use the supplied water bowl.   I use the large tin foil ones.   Filled it at the beginning and it was almost dry when I finished.   It's not a big deal, the time that is.   I expected it and started it at 6:00 Saturday after I preheated the tower and the burner.    Got to the desired IT at 3 the following afternoon and FTCed.    Almost the whole thing disappeared like it was hit by a swarm of locus ;).  6 adults and a 2 yr old.   The real eater is going to be my grandson but he's 7 months old and still gets his food out of jar or right from the source.