TJB,s Hero BBQ Sauce

Started by car54, June 22, 2010, 07:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

Over the last 6 months I have been developing the following BBQ sauce.   Today I tried it on pulled pork and I decided to have the forum try it. To me it has more taste and flavor then a strong kick, but who knows if I have good taste? With the pulled pork it has a nice lingering flavor.
Please try it and tell me what you think.

TJB's Hero BBQ Sauce

28 Oz diced canned tomatoes
20 OZ diced pineapple
1.5 cup raisins
2 medium large chopped onions
2 cups bourbon
1 cup apple vinegar
5 T Worcestershire sauce
9T full flavored molasses
3 T buckwheat honey or sorghum syrup
4 t hot paprika
4 t white pepper
4 t celery salt
4 t black pepper
2 t jalapeno powder
3 t cayenne pepper
3 t allspice
5 t horseradish

Stew onions in water until soft. Use minimum amount of water.
Add all other ingredients and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until the liquids are reduced to your pleasing.
Place in a food processor and mix until a desired consistency is reached. I like my a little chunky instead of a paste.
I have tried this on rib, chicken and pulled pork. I would like to try it on eggs and meatloaf

Thanks, Brad

FLBentRider

I'd love to, but the worchestersire is a deal killer for me.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Try Dale's low sodium as a sub. I have a friend that cannot handle w-shire

hal4uk

By golly... Looks like a LOT of work...
But, I read it carefully, and it sounds double-lip-smackin' good to me.

I'm ready to bottle it - and I ain't even tasted it yet!
[Click-Print]

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DarqMan

Sounds like it's got some kick, punch, umph!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

StickyDan

Can I get one without the pineapple and raisins???

classicrockgriller

Just a question?

Is there a reason for white pepper and black pepper in the same recipe?

Smokin Soon

CRG, don't really know why, but white pepper does make a dif in certain things. Have a few things I do that call for both and I jus do it!

Habanero Smoker

Looks like a good recipe. I may try it latter in the summer. Right now I'm up to my eyeballs in sauces.

If people are allergic to anchovies Annie's Naturals makes a Vegan Organic Worcestershire. I've never tried it, but often see it in many supermarkets and in all health food stores.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 23, 2010, 01:38:39 AM

If people are allergic to anchovies Annie's Naturals makes a Vegan Organic Worcestershire. I've never tried it, but often see it in many supermarkets and in all health food stores.

Annie's smells pretty close.  I have started using it.  FLB give it a try!  If you can't find it down there let me know and I can send you some. 

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 22, 2010, 11:27:07 PM
Just a question?

From a flavor profile consideration, WP and BP are different beasts - BP brings a lot of aromatic components with the peppercorn seed coat that are mostly lost in WP due to its removal. On a volume basis WP is the spicier of the two (from the same pepper variety) as it packs more of the spicy seed into the same volume.  It is not uncommon to see the two used in combination to control the balance between pepper's spiciness and the aromatics.  What I would like to find is black pepper coat without the core seed part, just the black coat that gets removed from the white pepper core.  Seems to me it would be a bit like using citrus peel vs. using the juice.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

car54

Here is an article on making BBQ sauce. It was originally from the Cookshack site.

How to make your own sauce

Posted by Robb on October 25, 2002 at 23:05:45

In Reply to: BBQ sauce making questions... posted by Richard Sterting on October 25, 2002 at 19:12:29: First, get an idea in your mind of what kind of BBQ sauce you want.

You state, tomato.

I next, mentally select a known brand that you want to closely duplicate.
Gates BBQ sauce is peppery; KC Masterpiece is thicker and sweet, etc.

Once you have determined mentally what you want, you next build up to that.
It's easy to jump start a BBQ sauce with ketchup, because it has the sweet and the tang that you are seeking.
But if you don't want to, go with either tomato sauce or tomato paste.
The advantage to using tomato paste is that you already have the thickness, and you don't have to reduce down to achieve it.
The disadvantage is that the thickened tomato past is further from a BBQ-like taste, then tomato sauce, or ketchup. Because of that you need to more dramatically alter the taste of the base ingredient, with substances like vinegar and spices.

What I do, when I'm making a basic tomato based BBQ sauce, is the following: Start with a base of ketchup. (Tomato sauce, tomato paste, etc) This gives me the sweet that I want.
I next target the heat.
I do this, with black pepper, red pepper, and white pepper.
Black pepper is a lip burning type hot.
Red pepper is an overall hot.
White pepper is a back of the mouth/nasal clearing type hot
Contrary to initial mental opinion, use less black pepper then red pepper. A touch of white to give it a light after kick.

I then taste, to determine the heat.
Once I have the sweet and the heat... I then go for the sour.
I do this with apple cider or white vinegar or sometimes yellow mustard (which is basically vinegar with mustard seed).
Simply add smart quantities at a time, till you get what you are achieving. If you start with ketchup, you already have an initial base that has some tartness to it, so you don't need much if any vinegar.
Once I have then come to a good balance of sweet, hot, and sour...
I then mentally agree that my base BBQ sauce is complete.

I next spice it with flavors, according to my personal opinion.
Here are some basic spices to modify BBQ Sauce.
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Chili powder
Paprika
Cumin
More exotic flavors that can be used include ground jalapeƱo, hickory flavorings (hickory salt), liquid smoke, etc.

If you want a ''boutique'' sauce that is flavored like raspberry, or teriyaki, or any other nontraditional flavoring... You should add this before the other mentioned spices.

Taste your spices before hand, by mixing a smart quantity with warm water. Warm water helps release the flavor. This helps you mentally determine if you want that in your sauce, and how much of it you want.
Me, personally, I add a little of about everything. The logic behind which, is that after I'm done, if the sauce is good in overall flavor... Then when someone tries my sauce their own personal taste buds will draw them to a particular ingredient in the sauce that they find agreeable. That makes them smile, tilt their head sideways, and go: ''hey, nice touch of cumin....''
(while the guy next to them, is thinking: ''I thought that unique taste was hickory"

Good tuck with your sauce.
Part of the fun of making sauces, is the experimentation.
It's wise to keep a small notepad, counting the ingredients and quantity, as you add them. That way you can reprieve the sauce in the future, if you find a winner.
And if you do find a winner, you can put it on the market so it can sit on the shelf next to the 65 other ''unique'' bbq flavors.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on June 23, 2010, 05:52:28 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 22, 2010, 11:27:07 PM
Just a question?

From a flavor profile consideration, WP and BP are different beasts - BP brings a lot of aromatic components with the peppercorn seed coat that are mostly lost in WP due to its removal. On a volume basis WP is the spicier of the two (from the same pepper variety) as it packs more of the spicy seed into the same volume.  It is not uncommon to see the two used in combination to control the balance between pepper's spiciness and the aromatics.  What I would like to find is black pepper coat without the core seed part, just the black coat that gets removed from the white pepper core.  Seems to me it would be a bit like using citrus peel vs. using the juice.

Thanks Eric!