I went crazy at the meat market today... and it's your fault.

Started by EZ Smoker, June 24, 2010, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

Albertson's had a sale on both bottom round and sirloin (roasts and steaks).    I went to the Albertson's close to my house (because my wife needed something) and checked it out.   I got two bottom round roasts (one of the free), coming to a cost of about 2.98/pound (I figure I'll turn one into roast beef for sammies, and freeze the other for later use... maybe jerky).  But they were already out of sirloins.   Then tonight my wife needed something else from the other Albertson's about a two miles down the road, so I dropped by their meat market and picked up 3.92 pounds of sirloin steaks, and found a coupon for $2.00 off any beef purchase of $10.00 or more.   So, with the coupon and the sale price, that worked out to 3.48/pound on petit sirloin steaks.   

Then my wife tells me she told my Dad and her Dad that she was going to give them each a special late Father's Day gift... pulled pork with a very good potato salad she makes (my Mom's recipe).    So we also buy two pork butts, but you know you can't cook two pork butts and give them both away, so we bought a third that we can eat.   

That's about 37 pounds of meat.   I've never bought that much meat in two weeks before, much less one day.  You see...this is exactly the effect that this forum is having on me. 
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: EZ Smoker on June 24, 2010, 10:27:26 PM
Albertson's had a sale on both bottom round and sirloin (roasts and steaks).    I went to the Albertson's close to my house (because my wife needed something) and checked it out.   I got two bottom round roasts (one of the free), coming to a cost of about 2.98/pound (I figure I'll turn one into roast beef for sammies, and freeze the other for later use... maybe jerky).  But they were already out of sirloins.   Then tonight my wife needed something else from the other Albertson's about a two miles down the road, so I dropped by their meat market and picked up 3.92 pounds of sirloin steaks, and found a coupon for $2.00 off any beef purchase of $10.00 or more.   So, with the coupon and the sale price, that worked out to 3.48/pound on petit sirloin steaks.   

Then my wife tells me she told my Dad and her Dad that she was going to give them each a special late Father's Day gift... pulled pork with a very good potato salad she makes (my Mom's recipe).    So we also buy two pork butts, but you know you can't cook two pork butts and give them both away, so we bought a third that we can eat.   

That's about 37 pounds of meat.   I've never bought that much meat in two weeks before, much less one day.  You see...this is exactly the effect that this forum is having on me. 

Dude, you are Home Free!

Make excellent smoke and you are in the Drivers seat.

No More .... MAY I !

It is on!

After this smoke, .... say "Well everyone like that so I thought YOU would like me to do this!"

Daze and Confuse Her!

Just watch you back. ;D

Caneyscud

Alright, the bug has bit and he's experiencing the first symptom. 

CAUSE: -  buying a Bradley, seasoning, worrying about the first cook, eating the first cook - then the symptoms come on.

1st symptom               Buying all the meat you can

2nd symptom              Just going to the grocery or Sams, strolling the meat market, just to "see" - can't buy any because freezer is full

3rd symptom               Bleary, hypnotic eyes from watching thermometer dials

4th symptom               Black stuff underneath the fingernails

5th symptom               Sweat tastes smokey

6th symptom               This constant huge $$$t eating grin! 

After all six symptoms manifest - there is no hope - you are a SMOKER!   We think there is no cure - we don't really know, because nobody has ever looked for one - so who cares?

Borrowing some lyrics

...Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
But when you worry
You make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

That's not the lyrics that Bobby Mcferrin wrote, these are:

Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The land lord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
Lood at me I am happy
Don't worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me
I make you happy
Don't worry, be happy
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got not girl to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
But when you worry
You make it double
Don't worry don't do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don't bring everybody down like this
Don't worry, it will soon past
Whatever it is
Don't worry, be happy
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Quarlow

Quote from: EZ Smoker on June 24, 2010, 10:27:26 PM

Yup these guys are a baaaad influence on poor unsuspecting guys who stumble across this site. If you fall into there clutches that is it, you are done for. I also have a freezer full of things to smoke, and it never seems to get less full it just keeps topping itself up. And yes I have gone to the grocery store just to see what meat is on sale that I can smoke.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

EZ Smoker
I kind of know what your talking about but i a completely different way. A local grocery store is have some kind of summer sale for something. I  am not sure what or why but they advertised Spare Ribs at $1 a pound. That being being said there is now 14 slabs of spare ribs strategically stacked in my freezer. Average weight per slab is 5.93lb for a grand total of 82.97 lbs.

BTW If you have a Hy-Vee Thurs and Fri only on the spareribs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

Yep, its funny, I've thought more than once over the last 4-5 weeks that I'm gonna go broke! LOL

Quarlow

Quote from: TestRocket on June 25, 2010, 12:11:10 PM
Yep, its funny, I've thought more than once over the last 4-5 weeks that I'm gonna go broke! LOL
A roast in the freezer(for jerky) is like money in the bank.......that you didn't spend on "Jack Link's" over priced stuff.  ;) ;)
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

EZ Smoker

Quote from: Quarlow on June 27, 2010, 08:01:00 PM
A roast in the freezer(for jerky) is like money in the bank.......that you didn't spend on "Jack Link's" over priced stuff.  ;) ;)

Ya know, I priced that stuff at Albertson's just a couple of days ago.  It was $1.75 per ounce.   That's $28 per pound.   I am going to try to make it myself soon, but I've never made any kind of jerky and I think I've got a good bit to learn.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.